Explain this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 05:27 AM
No Bozos!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain this?

The other day as I approached a traffic light, I saw in the intersection a small silver car which had rice written all over the side in red. You know the typical asian lettering and paint. It was a small car so I figured a Honda or Suzuki or something. As I got closer though, to my amazement I saw it was a Ford Focus. OK, so I was perplexed. Yesterday I am on the highway, and see ahead of me a red car with a rice wing, and the graphics on the rear window, again you know what I mean. Once again, as I get closer I see it is a Mustang. Come on, what am I missing here? Besides the fact that it's majorly cheezy, these aren't asian cars, right? Someone please enlighten me!
Old 05-03-2002, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I saw some rice stickers and a VTEC sticker on a talon the other day..
Old 05-03-2002, 07:27 AM

Default There are different types of "rice"

What you are experienceing is "domestic rice"

Its interesting to note that here in Toronto, it is mostly the rice eating population (those who eat rice regularly in their diet) that rice up their cars.. so the asians, the italians (of which I am one), the greeks, etc.. etc..

Weird ****..
Old 05-03-2002, 04:47 PM
No Bozos!

Default Could be

Didn't happen to see who was driving, but still... come on
Old 05-03-2002, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have *decent* respect for Talons...(more)

Only because Ive done more mechanically with them than any of my Audi's. The TSi AWD turbo models are the only ones that intruige me though. Dropped a tranny in 3 of those already, kinda fun . My friends have also completed engine swaps and such, interesting stuff to get in on and watch.
Anyhow, I wouldnt buy one, I just think they are kinda cool with the AWD and turbo.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some people think it looks cool

things like chrome engines on muscle cars that add no performance.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:52 AM

Default respect for Talons?

I'm kinda biased here but my buddy owns a mitsubishi eclipse... the talon is just a cheap mitsu. and seeing as I've driven a DOHC neon for a year and a bit and basing it on being a chrysler vehicle....
Go Mitsu... DSM cars ROCK!
most DOHC engines out there are running the DSM patent.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:51 PM
No Bozos!

Default Yeah but..

Put the ricey stuff on a ricey car. Don't put it on an American car, come on!
Old 05-06-2002, 05:06 PM

Default Hey why don't you guys cool it...

Let's cool it with the derogatory racial remarks, generalizations, and stereotypes of asians and rice rockets ya? I'm a full blooded Asian guy and many of my friends drive Hondas and Acuras with body kits, etc. Nothing to the extreme as putting VTEC stickers on a non-VTEC car, etc. In fact, they despise stickers on their cars. As for myself, I don't modify my Audi in any way. It's all stock; so let's not generalize and assume that all rice-eating asians drive rice-rockets with stickers and nasty looking wings on them. If they choose to put nasty *** wings on their car then let them; it simply shows how they know everything about nothing. Then there are those who are more conservative about their "rice-rockets." Their sense of style and appeal may be different to your sense of style and appeal so let's not attack them for it. Put that same mentality in a different situation and you have such things as violence in the Middle East; try to be more accepting of individuals with different aspirations and ideals. If they think their car will look cool by doing what they do to it, then let them; just don't offend anybody!

--audi9490s
Old 11-05-2003, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Yeah but..

"Ricing out" a vehicle is not limited to Japanese makes. I've seen outrageous body kits, plethora of stickers, funky coffee-can exhaust tips and the likes on Neons, Focuses, and other non-Japanese econoboxes.

As for racial undertones, while many young Asians are into tricking out Acuras and Civics, the import tuner craze involves people of all ethnicities.