fast hands will keep you off the grass...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, nice driving!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You pretty much have it all summed up here...

"The Torsen thing on the other hand really messes with me. I've had it spit me off mid corner while trying to balance it on the throttle. Very confusing. My understanding is that the TorSen is constantly moving torque backwards and forwards, so if you modulate the throttle mid slide it's a bit of a lottery what'll happen (well it is to me anyway) in terms of the torque split.

I've been told to forget about modulating the throttle (just keep it pegged) mid slide and modulate the car's attitude with the brake pedal, ie. left foot braking, Stig like. "

Quite frankly, the torsen sucks. I can drop into the same corner, on the same line, multiple times...and every time is different.

At the track, it was wild, since there was no gravel flying around and I had tires that were just _mint_ I could feel which corner of the car the torsen was pulling at...and how it was switching/pulling.

-Dave
Old 10-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Default AWD's are NOT ultimately faster, audis are not jeeps and are not supposed to be

driven racing in the snow/mud/grass, lets please stay on the road...its the safest way to drive...atleast thats what i learned in my drivers ed class =P
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default huh?

I'm confused at what you're trying to say here...

Give me a rally road and Doug and I will show you that Audi's are supposed to be raced in the snow/mud/ice/water...and, if the conditions are closed, we'll race on grass too.

-Dave
Old 10-11-2005, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hehehe.... grass..... ok Dave... but in the field... not on the lawn!

Heck, I've got the perfect field at the back of the property.... smooth edges of the field make for some awesome drifting corners with lots of "oh crap" over-shoot area. Just need to clean-up the little laneway through the trees to the back field; it's a little rutted and mucky.

And white90+hibredS4.... the guy who sold me his 4kq said the same thing about Quattro... he drove it all winter in the city on highways/on+off ramps, thought Quattro was only good on pavement and sucked in the snow and on gravel..... he drove the car to my house, handed me the keys, and said "So, wanna take your new car for a drive?"...... two km later I was on a twisty gravel backroad near my house (Dave drove that road when he got lost finding my place).... I was sideways within the 3rd corner, drifted the car through several corners on crappy no-season tires with the diffs unlocked (oh... did I mention I'd never driven the car before???). By the time I turned around to go back home, I could tell the guy was kicking himself for selling me the car..... he actually said "Wow, I didn't know you could do that with these cars!".

Look at the rally history of the Audi Quattro..... notice you don't see many movies of them on asphalt.... ok, they were nice on pavement, but where they kicked serious butt was on the tight twisty gravel and snow covered roads.... and I don't know if you've ever driven a rally road, but I have...... they're not smooth!

Jeeps... those are something completely different. Not designed for speed or handling. You ever seen a Jeep on a road course? Heck, you ever seen a Jeep in a rally??? Where they shine is in the really deep stuff, and crawling over seriously rough terrain. Jeeps aren't AWD.... they are 4WD!