Fog light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light Mod

Does anyone know if the mod in this forum will work on older 1990 audi 90's? i want my fog lights to work without having to have my headlights on. hopefully it's just something as simple as a jumper wire in the relay slot on these older models!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fog Light mod...

If your question was "will this also work on a 10v?" I don't know, but it may be worth trying. I suspect your OEM set-up is identical.

Have you seen this: "Fog Lights On w/o Headlights "?

http://www.20v.org/light.htm
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Lago Blue;24019660]If your question was "will this also work on a 10v?" I don't know, but it may be worth trying. I suspect your OEM set-up is identical.

Have you seen this: "Fog Lights On w/o Headlights "?

http://www.20v.org/light.htm[/QUOT

Thanks for the link. now i got another question. is there a brighter bulb that i can use to replace the 9004 without having to do a lot of rewiring? i like using silver star bulbs because the white light makes them seem brighter. but it would be nice to have a higher watt bulb without having to go through a lot. so i guess what i am asking is, is the a higher watt bulb like 60 or 70 watt that can be used without having to change anything? or if i get an h4 bulb and h4 bulb harness can i just wire it into the existing car harness?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Is there a brighter bulb" ...out there?...

Considering that 20v.org has been around for how many years, if there was a "wouldn't it be nice" bulb, why all the write-ups there on replacement lighting; and few about bulbs?

There are good reasons why folks upgrade the wiring, use relays and replace the housings with even DEPO brand units. The 90's are famous for their poor head-lights.

Input side:
One of the first issues you may bump into is Watts = a measure of power = in an electrical system; current. More current needs bigger (in diameter) wires. Your stock headlight wiring is too small to safely handle more current. Think toaster wires. You may also burn-out your head-light switch. Unloading your switch by using relays <i>alone</i> will also brighten even your OEM dim-bulbs. In so doing you will have begun to prepare for; better lighting.

Output side:
Your OEM headlights lens pattern is such that it will <i>never</i> put light where it is most needed. Again the DEPO's are a very cost effective replacement for someone just starting into this. See your FLAPS.

Focus:
Your <i>aim</i> should be, not just brighter lights, but to see better. Doing that may require research (searching here on this forum for one), acquiring tools and components; and some actual effort. The good folk ahead of you often publish their experience so that we can more easily follow. But they don't keep re-publishing it over and over every time somebody asks. You have to go and look for it.

It's kind of Darwinian. Better lighting (or braking, handling, torque or anything) is out there; but just for those who really want it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lago Blue; 08-18-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Lago Blue
[...]

There are good reasons why folks upgrade the wiring, use relays and replace the housings with even DEPO brand units. The 90's are famous for their poor head-lights.
[...]
=> Hi,
I don't know if US lights are different, but on EU lights, the head light is quite good, I changed my white bulbs for "gold" one (not yellow).
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does this "mod" make all the current run through the switch and switch wiring? I don't have a wiring diagram so I can't determine for myself, but I've heard of other mods like this... relays are usually there to keep high current out of small wires.