Fuel Guage not working.. speedo almost.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Guage not working.. speedo almost.

Hello,

I have searched around but I'm not 100% sure on the solution here but my fuel gauge was working fine then worked again for a while and now it has been dead for a few weeks didn't really mind it since I use my trip counter so I know when to fill again.. as of this morning the speedometer gauge stopped working, turned the car off then back on and it started working and so on.

is this all because of the voltage stabilizer or the regulator ? is there even a difference between the two?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have the same problem anyone wanna point me in the right direction?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel gauge and speedo...

I think they may be separate issues. Some have had success re-soldering the connections internal to the speedo; and Copycan has posted the link to the fuel gauge issue fixes here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1#post24145438
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your fuel gauge problem is probably the common problem a lot of people have had: the fuel level sender inside the fuel tank. It has a little wire on it that breaks. It's easy and free to fix it.

Assuming your car is a B4...
Fold down your rear seats, move aside your trunk carpet on the passenger side right behind the rear seat. You'll see the round opening where the fuel pump and sender assembly is installed. Disconnect the wires and hoses, unscrew that BIG plastic collar (you'll probably need a hammer and screwdriver). The assembly you will be pulling out is the fuel pump and fuel level sender as one large unit. It comes out in an awkward angle, so REMEMBER how you moved it to get it out, so you can get it back in. Now with the dang thing out, find the broken wire near the pivot of the level sender arm. Solder in a new piece of stranded copper wire, and put it all back together.

There are so many common failure items on the audi 90, but it's amazing that my car has had pretty much every single one. And of course, every time it was exactly what people said it "probably" was. Well, at least Audi build quality is consistent.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It could be your

ignition switch which is a common item that goes and causes all kinds of electrical issues. Just the fact that your gauge works when you turn your car off and on would make me look at the switch.
Have you ever had it changed?How many miles on your car?What model car is it?
Search the forum for ignition switch and read up on it as this may be your problem.I would also suggest you take your cluster out and clean and tighten all the connections.
good luck
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

WARNING!

If you are going to pull your fuel sending unit, BE SURE to do it on 1/4 tank or less to avoid fuel spillage. Doing it on a topped off tank will make you VERY unhappy.

Also remember to pull your battery cable and don't smoke while doing it, you don't want a random spark igniting you or the car.