Fuel pump issues... i think

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issues... i think

I have a 1990 90Q that no longer has the 7A in it, i believe its an NG now. Actually, where is the stamping located at? Anyway, back towards the end of summer something on the car would overheat (i presume) while driving, it would act like it was out of gas, die off and then refuse to restart. It would just crank and crank. Then after say 15 minutes, it would restart and i could USUALLY get to my destination. Also sometimes, when it went to die off i would try to pedal it to get it to stay running and it wouldn't go above maybe 3g for a minute or two, and eventually it would remedy and i could continue driving. I replaced the fuel filter and relay since they were cheap easy things to start with. And for awhile i thought it solved the problem, until we got another hot day, it did it again. I ordered a fuel pump, and after receiving it, realized it was the wrong one. So it got sent back and the problem got put in the back of my mind, since its been winter and cold out. But i figure im driving on borrowed time and need to get this figured out. It is my daily driver and still runs. However it has a steady but irregular misfire, seems to be sluggish, and occasionally when i go to pull out, the load will almost make it die. I am thinking of 2 possible culprits, coil pack or fuel pump. I have discovered that i have an in tank and external pump. The in tank one whines pretty loud and i can hear the whine pitch change depending on what kind of electrical load i put on the car. Don't know if that's significant or not. So to my questions, am i supposed to have 2 pumps? Also, am i on the right track? Like i said, it used to be a 20v, but is no longer. So did the 20v require 2 pumps? Or do i have 2 because whoever did the swap was being lazy? Any and all thoughts and input is appreciated. Its been a PITA having a motor that doesn't match the car. Sorry for the novel btw.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

First off the 7A is the EFI'd 20v motor the NG is the 10v CIS mechanical fuel injected motor. I have no idea why someone would add another fuel pump to the tank if they swapped a 10v motor in place of the stock 20v. Both 10v/20v cars only have one fuel pump from the factory located under the car. Maybe post a few pics from under the hood and in the trunk to help others help you.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok, will do tomorrow. I can hear the pump in the tank...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nlybarge
I have a 1990 90Q that no longer has the 7A in it, i believe its an NG now. Actually, where is the stamping located at? Anyway, back towards the end of summer something on the car would overheat (i presume) while driving, it would act like it was out of gas, die off and then refuse to restart. It would just crank and crank. Then after say 15 minutes, it would restart and i could USUALLY get to my destination. Also sometimes, when it went to die off i would try to pedal it to get it to stay running and it wouldn't go above maybe 3g for a minute or two, and eventually it would remedy and i could continue driving. I replaced the fuel filter and relay since they were cheap easy things to start with. And for awhile i thought it solved the problem, until we got another hot day, it did it again. I ordered a fuel pump, and after receiving it, realized it was the wrong one. So it got sent back and the problem got put in the back of my mind, since its been winter and cold out. But i figure im driving on borrowed time and need to get this figured out. It is my daily driver and still runs. However it has a steady but irregular misfire, seems to be sluggish, and occasionally when i go to pull out, the load will almost make it die. I am thinking of 2 possible culprits, coil pack or fuel pump. I have discovered that i have an in tank and external pump. The in tank one whines pretty loud and i can hear the whine pitch change depending on what kind of electrical load i put on the car. Don't know if that's significant or not. So to my questions, am i supposed to have 2 pumps? Also, am i on the right track? Like i said, it used to be a 20v, but is no longer. So did the 20v require 2 pumps? Or do i have 2 because whoever did the swap was being lazy? Any and all thoughts and input is appreciated. Its been a PITA having a motor that doesn't match the car. Sorry for the novel btw.
Hi again, that's what I was trying to tell you, to check to see if you had that transfer pump under the trunk.

Because that's the one that seizes in hot weather and whines loud, but like the other guy said its not for the fie just the case mechanical injection.

Duane, MI
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Other than a general view of the engine bay, are there any particular photos i could take that would help?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In the trunk with the carpet out of the way to see the fuel tank and bodged wiring that may have occurred.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are the pictures. There really isn't much to see in the trunk. The wires that are hanging down are from the speakers.
Attached Images    
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What's the build date on the car in the drivers door jam or better yet what's the vin? What spoiler does it have on the trunk and does it have 90 badges on it? I don't think your car was ever a 90 20v and the sound you here in the tank is probably just the return fuel line cause these cars never came with 2 fuel pumps.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was a 20v, it has 20v badges, is quattro, and the VIN checks out.

VIN: WAUHE58A0LA182695

It has the pointed back spoiler on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok I believe you now whoever swapped it over did it rather cleanly even changed the brake booster. But I'm still not buying the fuel pump in the tank you might want to pull the level sender out and verify that.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issues... i think