Fun with tire pressure. . . make your Audi really fun to drive . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun with tire pressure. . . make your Audi really fun to drive . . .

so I got new tires before driving back to colorado for christmas. I didn't push the tires too hard on the way there and back, and all my "fun" driving while there was on snow and/or dirt. So back here in cali, I was noticing that my car *really* liked to oversteer on dry pavement, under acceleration or not, which doesn't sound like any audi I know... so it was fun and all, and I didn't bother about it for a month or so since I wasn't driving that much anyway, and the only times I pushed it were late at night, when correcting for oversteer at medium speeds was entertaining. But I finally decided that it just wasn't right to keep driving it like that, even if it was fun. I got around to checking my tire pressures, and it turns out the rear tires were about half what they should be (~15psi), and the front were about 5psi too hard . . . and they all looked about the same at a casual glance too!

so I guess the moral is now I'm going to check the tire pressure myself with a gauge when the shop includes "filled tires to recommended pressure" on the receipt

the only weird thing is I think it should be the other way around . . . ie, having the rear tires harder should increase the cornering stiffness in the rear, increasing weight transfer relative to the front, making the rear slide out earlier. But here it was the other way around . . . maybe those theories are irrelavent if the tires are *way* under inflated and bending all over the place around a corner though . . .
Old 02-12-2002, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With low tire pressure, you can peel out easier. Then you know your fronts are low.