G-60 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-60 Upgrade

Thanks to Jim Bush, who was nice enough to help me obtain a used set of G-60 calipers and carriers, I completed my brake upgrade yesterday.

I have a 91 90Q 20v sedan that had the single piston/small dia rotor as OEM.

I guess I had some luck, since my car already had the two- piece brake lines. The swap could not have been any easier. I removed the old single piston calipers, unhooked the brake line form the coupler, then removed the rubber brake line form the old caliper. Then I mounted the orbital slotted rotors I got from Blau, (great service form them, so far) bolted on the carrier and then the calipers and Meyle pads and then connected the brake lines. I bought a vacuum brake fluid bleeder (finally, I don't know I lived without one for as long as I have) and pulled the new Dot 5 synthetic fluid through the system. Three hours after starting the job, I was out on the road for test drive.

When I bought the car a few months ago, the prev owner had the front rotors turned, and they had eventually warped so bad, that I should not have even been driving the car the past few weeks. For the price of a new set of rotors, I don't know why anyone would ever have a rotor turned, but to each his own. I figure when he found out how much the small rotors for this car are, he figured he could save a ton of cash, but going with the G-60 upgrade ended up just a few $ more. And there is no comparison to the increased performance.

I just wanted thank all those who helped with info and feedback to my questions earlier, and to this forum in general for making this project so easy and worthwhile.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any pics ?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: G-60 Upgrade

I should have taken pics while I did the swap, sorry!
I can tell you all that is worth the time and $.
It feels like this car could flip over when you stab the pedal, and as far as the bias, I think the front rear ratio is still balanced, but I will have to do some more 'driving' before I can make a valid assessment.

edit: I put the orbital slotted rotors and Meyle pads on the rear about 8 weeks ago.