Gamma CC - completely locked out

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gamma CC - completely locked out

Hi all,

My Gamma CC, circa '95, part # 4A0 035 093, is completely locked out.

I recently changed out my battery and now the unit reads SAFE all the time.

When I depress the FM1 and AM buttons simultaneously (or one after the other) and hold, the display never goes to 1000, it stays on SAFE even if held for over 5 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Leritz
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Radio innards may have failed. It should always go to 1000 when the keys ....

you pushed are pressed. Sorry.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like your radio might be on its way out if it doesn't prompt you for the code...
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Gamma CC - completely locked out

I have an extra one I pulled from the junkyard. No code, but I do have the VIN and photos to prove it's a salvage car. I'd slide it out the door for $20 plus shipping.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dealer now charges 1 hour of labor to "look it up"...
Old 08-16-2006, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here is the write-up on the radio................

Radio Anti-Theft Coding

Cancelling the electronic lock-up

If for any reason your radio has been electronically locked-up - for example, if the battery has been disconnected or the radio fuse has blown - the word "SAFE" will appear in the frequency display when the radio is switched on.

To cancel the electronic lock-up, you must enter the correct code number.

It is essential that the following steps be carried out in the correct order:
1. Turn the radio on - the word "SAFE" appears in the display.
2. Press the FM 1 and AM buttons simultaneaously and hold them down until "1000" lights up in the display. Release the buttons! Do not, under any circumstances, continue holding them down or press them once again. This will cause the radio to consider the number "1000" to be the input code number.
3. Use station buttons 1 to 4 to input the code number on your Radio Card. (Should you loose the Radio Card with the code number, which comes with the Operating Instructions for the radio, please contact an Audi dealer). Use button 1 to input the first digit of the code number, button 2 to input the second digit, and so on.
For technical reasons, the first digit can only be a 1 or left blank. The following three digits, however, may be any number from 1 to 9.
4. Once the code is shown on the display, press the FM 1 and AM buttons again simultaneaously and hold them down until the word "SAFE" appears in the frequency display. Release buttons! Soon afterward, a frequency will be displayed.

The radio can now be used again!

Incorrect Code Number

Should you inadvertently input the incorrect code number in attempting to release the electronic lock-up, the word "SAFE' will appear in the display - first blinking and then continuous.

You can now repeat the entire canceling procedure once. The number of attempts will be shown on the display.

If you input another incorrect number, your radio will be locked up for approximately one hour. The radio will not play. Leave the radio switched on. After an hour, the display with the number of attempts goes out and you can cancel the electronic lock-up as described above.

This cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He can't get it to say "SAFE".........
Old 08-16-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Thank you, 4AudiQ - NICE WHEELS ! ! !

Am quite familiar with that write-up and have performed the proceedure several times and radio (and display) remains in SAFE mode.

May be DOA.

Thanks again!!

Leritz
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Thank you all for your support - my Gamma CC must be DOA - will replace with Kenwood or Alpine
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They're easy enough to install...only tricky part is making a rear line-level out...

...to feed the rear amped speakers. The stock deck uses a "common ground" for both rear line outs, you have to separate it (the two ground wires are twisted into 1 pin) and use a white/red RCA lead and hook the 4 factory wires up to the new deck. Make sure you use the amp. remote turn on to trigger the amps and the ant. remote to turn on your antenna.

Quick Reply: Gamma CC - completely locked out