gonna build a 2.6 liter 5 cyl turbo for my B4 - let the mad science begin! tech stuff inside (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna build a 2.6 liter 5 cyl turbo for my B4 - let the mad science begin! tech stuff inside (LONG)

Ok, so here is the word from Adam the audi guru at achtuning.....you can take an AAN (urS4/S6) 20vT and basically plug it right into the B4 tranmission, wiring and whatnots. A/C, cooling, exhaust and ECU need to be re-invented, but not too tough.

Engine:
This is sorta cool. You take the AAN block and bore it out to 83mm or even more if you want - there is lots of meat. Then you add the crankshaft from a 2.5 liter eurovan. Stock AAN rods will fit but that would be stupid so I'm getting Carillo rods. The essential part is custom JE pistoms that have the pin journal moved up 8mm (or so) to account for the longer stroke. for a turbo, the displacement can be raised to nearly 2.7 liters (!!). Now you have a stronger, lighter engine than the V-6 and it sounds like nothing on this planet. 450hp is child's play, plus there are gobs of parts around. I'll be posting a detailed write-up on a website once I get going.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:46 PM

umm...i thought the AAN didnt use the same mount points in the 80/90 like the 3B does?
Old 08-04-2002, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you said it fits up to the transmission, what about engine mounts
Old 08-04-2002, 04:55 PM

will have more info in the engine mounts next week - supposed to be workable..
Old 08-04-2002, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wiring? I think you'll have to swap the wiring harness.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: gonna build a 2.6 liter 5 cyl turbo for my B4 - let the mad science begin! tech stuff inside (LO

Howdy! The AAN engine will bolt to a B4 transmission, but the 01A quattro transmission is not up to 450bhp as child's play, 300bhp is when the 01A Torsen box starts to have problems, though some have run up higher without immediate problems, but the internals are not up for the long ride. WIth that sort of power a 01E 6 speed is needed for longevity's sake, plus if you have the funds to create a 2.6 AAN and run it to 450bhp as a baseline then a 6 speed transmission shouldn't be too far out of your budget.

There is no need to worry about wiring for the transmission in an engine swap, speed sensor and reverse lights have little to do with the swap. A/C is expensive to work out on the AAN swaps and usually one of the most costly manuvers. Exhaust can be done with some simplicity by using the late S2 style Y-pipe and catalytic converters with covers, or you can have the early style S2 flooring pockets welded in and use the early Y-pipe and cats, though with the early style flooring welded in then the seats cannot be fully power adjustable, the early S2's featured half powered seats due to the intrusion of dual cat cutouts in the floor. The ECU can reside in the stock location, but you need to run the AAN harness and work that into your stock wiring, not a terrible procedure but very time consuming and labor intensive. The other option is to run an aftermarket exhaust system such as 034EFI, TEC, or something similar.

The stroker 2.6-2.7 project is very expensive. The crank itself is rather pricey new and rare to find used. Using stock rods and stock pistons would not work obviously as the piston would top up onto the valves. Using the customer JE Pistons will do the trick but I'm not certain if you can go 8mm lower + the extra downstroke on the cam in the piston bore. There are oil squirters in there down at the bottom of the bore, don't hit them! Then for 450bhp you'll be way out of the range of RS2 componentry, Lehman K27/K26 or pure K27 territory, maybe a high trim Garrett T4 with ceramic bearings, talking some serious bucks here. Then injection must be taken care of, way above RS2 injector limits, again talking some major bucks.

Don't forget the intake setup, RS2 intercooler will probably be the best bet, but then again at 450bhp there could be a serious need for something larger that flows better.

Finding an AAN will get you to the $3000 territory to begin with. Then it's the budget that sets your plans, if you are looking for 450bhp out of an AAN plus swapping it into a 90q and work being done by a shop then I wouldn't be surprised to see a $15-20k bill if done properly. That would probably not include a 01E 6 speed which at that range is really a requirement. If you are completing the swap on your own the bill shrinks considerably, but there is still the matter of the AAN, engine rebuild, engine internals, much larger turbo, intake setup, fueling system, dual exhaust work, and much more.

Dahlback's 430bhp RS2 setup runs 20k Euro and consists of:

New E-proms in ECU, S-1 turbo, Sport Quattro exhaust manifold, clutch, piston rods, crank shaft bearings, fuel pump, flywheel, racing camshafts, modification of air filter housing, injectors, high flow air filter, porting of cylinder head, modification of oil system and cooling, oilcooler, Sport Quattro intercooler, modification of intake manifold, racecats, stainless steel exhaust (turbo-back).

If you have the funds and the time it would be an amazing project to see come to light!

Good Luck,
Old 08-04-2002, 05:52 PM

THANKS!
Old 08-04-2002, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Alex...

I remember you mentioning an 80tq before (presumably yours?). Do you have any info on what kind of setup it was?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2002, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you were smart, you should just bid on this. MUCH less expensive than a conversion...

...and it's already got all the bugs worked out.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1848227859">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1848227859</a</li></ul>
Old 08-04-2002, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"full spares package including engine, subframes, lots of tire/wheels, ect. " ... awesome

Quick Reply: gonna build a 2.6 liter 5 cyl turbo for my B4 - let the mad science begin! tech stuff inside (LONG)