Got the 20v back... has some drivetrain noises now (hmmm)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the 20v back... has some drivetrain noises now (hmmm)

Figured I would get some opinions before calling the shop...

When driving, in any gear, if I let off the gas you can hear a light (well... from the outside of the car too so not so light) scraping noise. You can hear it scrape off and on as the transmission bucks a bit from being let off then a constant scrape once the transmission has settled... any insight? I was thinking the driveshaft support bearing?

Reason behind why I was thinking it was the support bearing is @ around 75mph I hear a weird ringing. It's extremely light, almost like someones gently whistling in your ear. if you take the car out of gear and release the clutch the noise is still there as you coast, not dependant on RPM/trans gears.

Also, at idle I noticed a rattle. It sounds very very similar to the distributor rattle we all know so well, but is coming from the catalytic converter / flywheel clutch area. I cant pinpoint anything loose, could it be something internal? If you gas a touch above idle it goes away.

All in all the transmission is used with 80k miles on it, and was supposedly tested (driven in car) before being shipped to me. With the install came a spec stage 2 clutch, fidenza LW flywheel, rear main seal, redline MT90, and replaced a bad trans mount & clutch slave. Can you guys think of anything that could be going on? I would call the shop but unfortunately Both phones of my house were both left at work so it'll be tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is it a quattro? When the shop that did my clutch returned my B4 90 Quattro...

they screwed up re-mounting the exhaust and left it rubbing against the drive shaft. It usually only happened under acceleration.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How about the heat shield. that could "blow" onto the driveshaft???

Jim Bush
Holland, MI
Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Chatter from your clutch/flywheel setup?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

All USA/CAN 20v's are quattro from the factory.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After some poking around I definitely think it's internal....

Its a metal scraping sound... faint... would an aluminum flywheel cause the added noise? I am just really hoping nothing is borked... I test drove it around some more this evening and every time you let off the gas in any gear you can hear it. My first 4000 Q made the same noise and I was never able to find it (but never had the clutch replaced). I seriously cant afford anything else on this fvcking car....
Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default is there any bearings within the transmission that would cause the noise in all gears when you

let off the gas pedal? I have been searching all over on line and haven't been able to find anything about the problem... The shop that did the install has an extremely good reputation so i am questioning the transmission at this point........
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Could be the differential bearings, but that doesnt account for the noise at idle.

although it is possible that the noises at idle and the noises at speed aren't directly related.

The only other thing that comes to mind that it could be is the input shaft bearing. This would account for the noises at idle and at speed. Especially since when you let off the gas in gear, there's a lot of strain going through that bearing, which would cause it to 'groan' more. Next time you drive, try coasting in neutral with your foot off the clutch and see if it changes based on engine rpm.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pretty sure you have flywheel chatter.

Common on the Fidanza's.

Doesn't account for the idle noise though.<ul><li><a href="http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-talk/viewtopic.php?p=1111">flywheel chatter</a></li></ul>
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you nailed it... found this as well...

Sounds like exactly what I am going through. The idle rattle could be a number of things... but the letting off the gas noise just had me scared. I am not running the lightweight clutch kit but the standard, that paired to the LW flywheel is amplifying the noise. I am still going to call up the shop in the AM and see whats up...<ul><li><a href="http://forums.focaljet.com/svt-headquarters/444170-spec-stage-3-fidanza-flywheel-noise.html">Stage 3 + Fidanza = noise</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Got the 20v back... has some drivetrain noises now (hmmm)