Got my engine to run today, and then all of a sudden it completely dies, and there is no spark...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my engine to run today, and then all of a sudden it completely dies, and there is no spark...

Well, Hitachi 20v engines suck the biggest *****...

I had a vacumm leak I temporarily fixed, and installed new spark plugs, which got the engine running again, it keeps dying at idle. ( and I know most of the symtoms by now for what "could" be the problem.

But here's the catch. The engine was running, I hear a weird noise, completely dies. I had my father start the car while I gapped the main coil and there is no spark.

I know the alarm system, can cut out power to the ignition coil, but can anything else? ecu? Once again I am stumped... fix this, that break. fix this, that breaks. Love these audis huh? damn damn.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Maybe broken teeth on distributor gear??? Also is the breather hose connected properly.....

Never worked on one of those engines, just trying to help. I would also check the coil wire, to make sure it is not the problem.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Hall sensor. Or maybe engine position and/or speed sensor. Or maybe not....

No spark hey. Crikey!

Well anyway, do you know if it's getting a signal to the coil? If it is then the coil's buggered. If not, then it could start getting ugly to diagnose.

First I'd pull codes (see 20V.org). They'll probably tell you nothing, but you never know. Then I'd check the hall sensor by connecting an LED to it and seeing if there's any signal. Then I'd try the engine speed and position sensors again with an LED.

After that I'd probably seek professional help, both mechanical and psychological. ;-)

A while back I had an intermittent fault with the engine position sensor that had me seriously questioning how much longer I was prepared to deal with the Bitch Goddess that is the 20V.

After multiple stranding's and subsequent flat bed towing's, it finally got sorted out, but it's left me emotionally scarred....

Good Luck

PS We Australians may drive on the wrong side of the road, but we definitely drive from the right side of the car.... ;-)
Old 04-16-2003, 09:23 PM

Default I am getting fault codes to read, yippy, like presents under the christmas tree.....

Well, I never been able to get my coupe to read fault codes, I just replaced the dash harness, and truthfully forgot to check fault codes, I built a little tester, (actually I use two lights, have to upload a pic). But I am getting

2114:
which does have to do with ignition and distributor timing, and hall sender.

i will be ordering a 3179 tool from zelenda tomorrow, any other places recomended?

actualy, now that I think about this I will probably order 3179 from adirondack auto brokers, instead, well if they can get it. I like doing business with them.