grrrrr, the "fun" never ends. just wanted to take the hub off, but damn ABS wheel speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grrrrr, the "fun" never ends. just wanted to take the hub off, but damn ABS wheel speed sensor

wouldn't pull out..... all rusted tight. So push comes to shove and I'm trying to persuade it to come out ...and... <pop>, the friggin' cap & wires pull out of the sensor =F

So good outcome is that I was able to bring the hub in for bearing insertion, but i fcked that stupid ABS speed sensor in the process. Now it's either cough up some $ for a replacement, or else just fvck ABS on that side & plug the hole & do it around Xmas when I have surplus money & put up with the ABS or CEL on.

Does this sh*t happen to everyone else?? I just want to do simple morning/afternoon jobs here, and in the end I'm rushing just to get the car driveable for work the next morning.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Banned

Default Lol I always take a hole day to do a simple project.

Im so picky its gotta be perfect, well that or I fxck up then have to fix my mistake. :/ Good luck man.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i always mess things up too : )

but a used ABS sensor will be dirt cheap.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

used... as in from a wreck?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

Anyone here got a used one? Autoxdotbiz might have a used one, also check ebay.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all 4, used from a salvaged 95 90! ;O)
Old 09-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor

Default Always happens...

spent two weekends ago installing S6 Euro sport springs and Koni sports in a friends S4. Simple enough, then the rusted and frozen parts start to surface, the scary improper ball joint bolts that I pulled were bent and one was nearly worn through, the rear spring perches didn't like to come off the stock shocks to be reused, then the ABS sensors... Massive lesson learned, if they don't move easily leave them be. Pop the dual pin plug and pull the whole gaggle of wiring with grommet with the strut or wheel bearing housing depending on the model. I managed to damage both sensors while attempting to pull them out. So 3 hours later, drilling the sensors out, tapping the magnet and other components into the area I made available by sliding the CV back out of the hub, then chiseling the old sensor housing and sleeve out by hand. Never again, won't touch an ABS sensor if it works, will always pull the whole wire to the plug up inside the engine bay. Spent time removing ball joint bolts and ABS sensors from S6 parts car, time moving that damn car up to the garage bay door, time pushing it back solo, this job sucked when it was all said and done. A 4-5 hour job become a 10-12 hour job over two weekend days. Ah how I love New England Audis, rust, crust, and more rust!

You're going to want to disable the ABS or replace that sensor, it doesn't take kindly to the no signal, it will kick in at low speeds from my experience.

Good Luck!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default thanks for the headsup on ABS disable... guess that's possible just by pulling the fuse?

nowz is when I wish I had that ABS disable button =\

thanks for your "story" Alex. Makes me feel somewhat less innept. I don't even want to think about how you easterners fix things on old cars... i curse rust enough as it is.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this is why I don't do anything without a full day and a friend

might also be why I don't do as much as I'd like to...
good luck, you'll figure it out.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default Well then.. :)

no need to go anywhwere. do you ship over night maybe that will better satisfy Mr. Qp. lol

Quick Reply: grrrrr, the "fun" never ends. just wanted to take the hub off, but damn ABS wheel speed sensor