Head removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head removal questions

I am in pretty far into the head gasket job with a couple of questions not mentioned by Bentleys or 12V.org. Do the coolant pipes that attach to the rear of the head have a lip that fits into the head, requiring me to move the pipe rearward? If so, then shouldn't I also replace the seals where the pipes fit into the block in front of the valley pan? Also, must I, as 12v says, disconnect the power steering line to get the head off? I'm betting there is a 16 year old seal in there that will also have to be replaced. I just spent all day tracking down a o-ring for the oil check valves since Audi wants $60 bucks for a new valve and doesn't list the o-rings with a part number.
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wow that's a clean V-Pan
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hard pipe that connects to the back of the heads has recessed o-rings that I had a little trouble with when I replaced my heads this spring. I didn't realize that you can actually just pull the hard pipe rearward once everything is disconnected until I'd mangled one of the o-rings by installing it off center and cutting it in half.

I didn't have a new set of orings or whatever seals the hard pipe where it pops out at the front of the engine but I would have replaced it if I had.

As for the power steering stuff. I didn't disconnect it when I took my heads off. The passenger side head comes off pretty easily with the exhaust manifolds still attached. You'll have to disconnect the downpipes - probably by breaking the studs - I snapped all 6 with the first turn of my wrench. I took the DS head off with exhaust manifold attached too but it required a lot of wiggling and some moving of the hard pipe. I'll bet with the hard pipe pulled back out of the way it would be a lot easier but I didn't realize I could disconnect it at that point in the job yet. Either way, it was doable.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The gaskets that go on the back of the heads are the two orange ones above the green throttle body gasket in the photo here...

This is the Victor Reinz engine gasket set. I don't know if the hard coolant pipe o-rings come with that or not.

I can identify all the big stuff in the photo, except the 4 orings inside the TB gasket and the two that are concentric to their left.

Looking at ETKA it appears that the two o-rings that go on the back of the heads are part # N 905 607 01 they are 30x5mm

The one that goes back into the block on the PS is 24x3 and part # N 903 800 02
The one that goes back into the block on the DS is Part # N 903 653 02 but a size isn't listed.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the replies. Valley pan treated per the procedure to sand it flat. I was disappointed by the rather rough condition of the block mating surface. Thought Audi would have done a better job machining that. Hopefully the aviation sealant will help. Manifold to downpipes were surprisingly easy after two days of PB blaster. Pax side head ready to come off, head bolts were scary, driver side still has crap to detach on back side of head. I was not ready for the plastic cover between the cam and the inside of the valve covers. That's not in ANY diagram that I have seen. Nobody (i.e. 12v)mentioned pulling the dipstick out, either. I'm considering replacing all water hoses in the v-pan area, but not really looking for ways to blow money. They are bleeding a rusty goo out the ends where they are cut and clamped. Sign of impending failure?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Per ETKA and other write ups the orange viton rings are the only ones for the rear coolant flanges to the block unless I am missing something, the reason they are in the kit since you will have to remove the hard coolant lines to remove the heads.

The two which are on the left should be for the old non updated right bank rear cam, the plug is included if you already have it.

The small ones, I can't figure out that myself although they look like copper crush washers why they are included, no idea.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're right - I think they are copper - could they be fuel filter washers? I don't know exactly why they'd be included though.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could be for other fuel related components as you have to take the hardlines for the injectors off to pull the intake.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Pax side head off - questions

Got the head off today, easily, after moving the coolant pipe rearward. The head bolt that came out of the hole adjacent to the "calibrated" oil passage was oil soaked and the bolt hole was filled with oil. Is that typical? I'm hoping that as the head loosened, the oil in the area drained into the bolt hole. It sat all night loose. Since the head gasket goes around both the oil and bolt hole passages, and there is no division between them, it makes sense that oil will be in there. Help me out here. PB blaster working on the other side heat shields, may get head off tonight.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Heads are off

There ought to be a special annotation on the public profile of anyone who has removed the heads on this car. There's a bit more to it than 12v.org has in the procedure. What is recommended for the carbon buildup at the top edge of the cylinder? I vaguely remember my Dad running a hone in there for a couple of seconds, but that was in the stone age. Machine shop next and then the famous words of Mr. Bentley.

Quick Reply: Head removal questions