HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I replaced my fuel filter, cap and roter. My car is still cutting ouyt. Yesturday I tried to speed up and it cut out. I do not know what could be wrong. I spoke with my brother and he said it sounds like a fuel pump could any one help me and let me know what is wrong
Old 01-01-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Did you drive it between changing the filter and replacing the cap & rotor?

Answering this question will aid in deciphering WHICH of the two repairs may be problematic.

This is a 20v, right?

I'll try to help you...
Old 01-01-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Did you drive it between changing the filter and replacing the cap & rotor?

yes i did and it did not help. it just keeps cutting out. i thought the cap and roter helped but yesturday it started up again
Old 01-01-2004, 07:01 AM

Default OK, so...

you replaced the fuel filter, THEN the problem started? So you tried replacing the cap and rotor to fix the problem?

Please confirm.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Re: OK, so...

it was doing it before and after i changed the filter so i changed the cap and it is still doing it
Old 01-01-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Alright, sounds like...

maybe there's air getting into the fuel line somewhere. When you changed the filter, was everything tightened and lined-up correctly? Make sure there's no air being sucked into the fuel line... needless to say, make sure there are no leaks either. I had this SAME thing happen to me on a Chevy S-10 pickup; air was being sucked into the fuel line near a fitting that was misaligned.

Can you more specifically describe the problem? Does it chug under acceleration only, but idle just fine?

Lemme know... I'll be here...
Old 01-01-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Alright, sounds like...

it is not leaking any gas any where and all the fittings are tight. it chugs when i try to speed up and when i am sitting still it idles great. It runns smooth most of the time then it starts chugging and cutting out. I was told it may be the fuel pump but I dod not know. Every time I try accelerate through an intercetion it does that.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Few things...

Was there a problem before replacing the filter?

I sincerely doubt it's the fuel pump... is it making noise? Usually, they either work or they don't. Changing the filter wouldn't make the pump act up.

MORE THAN LIKELY, by changing the filter you've broken something loose in the fuel line, like rust, or just sludge crap that collects in dirty filters. Who knows what's clogging it... it's either a clog, or too much air in the line... possibly in the filter itself. A kink in the line somewhere?

The bottom line is, you're idling just fine, but once you accelerate and demand more fuel from the line, it chokes b/c there isn't enough fuel.

Maybe see what you can do about removing the fuel line from the engine side, then removing the line from the filter, then blow some compressed air through the line (or by mouth... but be careful). Check the filter too by running some fuel through it in both directions. Check the line going from the filter to the tank too.

All in all, assuming there wasn't a problem before the filter change, I'm confident the above will help you out with the issue.

Best of luck... I'm signing-off for now. If you need more help or direction, feel free to give me a call on my cell: (708) 261-1310

Matt
Old 01-01-2004, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check the crankcase breather hose too.