Help Manual Transmission Leak 1995 Audi 90 Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Manual Transmission Leak 1995 Audi 90 Q

When warming and driving the car, 1995 Audi 90 Quattro Sport, a transmission oil leak is noticeable.. About two weeks ago, I had the passenger ball joint popped lose. Consequently, the passenger tire went to the side. The impact of this, extended the axle, and that's when the leak started. I have taken the axle out and placed it back. Everything looks good, car runs and drives fines, but the leak is still there. The impact must have moved a seal or gasket somewhere in the transmission case, but not sure where to even start. Any suggestions of what could possible be ? And would this be a major repair ? I would really appreciate any help or your suggestions. I enjoy the car and would hate to sell it because of this.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about your luck, so the inner drive axle area is dry? because there is a oil seal behind the Drive Flange that the inner cv joint(Drive Axle) that could and probably is leaking from the shock. Usually there is a circlip, drive Flange, Spring,thrust washer, then seal. I used to change them here and there on the Vw with a simple puller bar type tool.

Please keep us posted, my luck isn't the greatest lately on my 95 90QS either,

Duane, MI
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Duane,

Thank you for the response. The flange, were the axle attaches, was completely clean and dry from the inside part. However, the leak could be behind it. I will have to crawl under the car and see if is soaked in oil. But if I am reading you correctly, it would be a repair similar as the link below.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249639
What's wrong with your 90Q ? Thanks for suggestion and help, sounds like that could be it. Will look at it tomorrow when the sun comes out.

Rudy

Originally Posted by duanevw
Sorry to hear about your luck, so the inner drive axle area is dry? because there is a oil seal behind the Drive Flange that the inner cv joint(Drive Axle) that could and probably is leaking from the shock. Usually there is a circlip, drive Flange, Spring,thrust washer, then seal. I used to change them here and there on the Vw with a simple puller bar type tool.

Please keep us posted, my luck isn't the greatest lately on my 95 90QS either,

Duane, MI
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

your flange shaft is differant from the one shown in the link, its not a hard job to change the seal for the shaft, just remove the six bolts that fix the driveshaft(axle) to the flange then pull out the flange shaft and you will then see the seal, just lever it out and drive the new one in sqaure and even, if it is your problem, heres some pictures of your setup, and the first picture shows how to pull the shaft safely without causing damage, if you dont remove it squarely you can cause damage to the transmission, the seal has to be fitted 5.5mm below the surface of the case for a new shaft or 6.5mm if using the old flange shaft with a new seal . the second picture shows the shaft removed. all the fliud will come out of the transmission so have something under and use new fluid to refill. third picture shows driving in new seal.
Name:  flangepull.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  flangepic.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  11.9 KB

Name:  sealinsert.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  18.1 KB
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Merton,
Good write up, and clear explanation. Thanks for the help guys. I feel as I have a better understanding of what I am faced with.

Originally Posted by merton1973
your flange shaft is differant from the one shown in the link, its not a hard job to change the seal for the shaft, just remove the six bolts that fix the driveshaft(axle) to the flange then pull out the flange shaft and you will then see the seal, just lever it out and drive the new one in sqaure and even, if it is your problem, heres some pictures of your setup, and the first picture shows how to pull the shaft safely without causing damage, if you dont remove it squarely you can cause damage to the transmission, the seal has to be fitted 5.5mm below the surface of the case for a new shaft or 6.5mm if using the old flange shaft with a new seal . the second picture shows the shaft removed. all the fliud will come out of the transmission so have something under and use new fluid to refill. third picture shows driving in new seal.
Attachment 22089

Attachment 22090

Attachment 22091