Help: Ported Heads and New Cams for 12v V6; Maybe MikTip can help me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Ported Heads and New Cams for 12v V6; Maybe MikTip can help me?

Hey,

Just discovered the AudiWorld forum recently, and have noticed some mention of porting and polishing the heads as well as new cams for the 12V V6. I have a 1995 90S quattro with some mods (k&n cone filter, TAP throttle body, Thermal cat back exhaust, H&R springs, 17" borbet type T wheels with Toyo ZR rated tires, EBC green brake pads, and tinted windows and red callipers). I have been looking for another engine mod that would make a nice difference in power. I would love to hear from those of you who have done the headers and cams on this engine and know if it makes a nice difference. Also would like to know of any recommendations on places that would do this, and maybe guess as to cost. MIKTIP: if you read this, I would like to know who did yours. My car looks like your black 90 (if I am correct on which car pic is yours), except the wheels are different.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going to keep the car maybe one more year, and would like to HP it up a little more in the mean time. I don't want to sell it (it is very low miles and in great shape), but I would like to find something a little faster eventually.

Thanks again for help.

Mat
Old 10-03-2001, 01:18 PM

Default MODS

Check out this web site.
Never done business with them, but they seem to be one of the few with mods for the 90 body style.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tdlracing.com/index2.htm">http://www.tdlracing.com/index2.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-03-2001, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MikTip here!

Who does MikTip's mods? MikTip does MikTips mods!

Ported & polished me own heads I did!

So you wanna get a set of cams? I have the Schrick 262's.

2 words, "very mild".

Recommend you try the 272's BLAU offers. Maybe more agressive than the 262's? You cant get real agressive because of the hydraulic lifters.
With cams, all your power is moved into the higher rpm's. Mine makes good power above 3800rpms to redline.

TDL racing claims they can get 230hp out of the 12V with their "Big-Valve" heads? They want $3000+ for the set.

Theirs really not much available for the 12V V6.
Now if you had a 30V, then you could drop in a PES supercharger! Theirs also rumor of a Z-Engineering supercharger in development for the 12V V6!

Lots of stuff to spend a small fortune on!
Old 10-03-2001, 08:35 PM

Default Re: MikTip here!

Im impressed, MikTip. Any chace I can pay you to port and polish mine?

Anyway, what kind of HP increase would you say you gained by doing cams and heads? I also noticed a ported intake manifold on TDL. Think that is worthwile? It is only $250 (compared to the price of other parts). Thanks for the responses.

Mat
Old 10-03-2001, 09:38 PM

Default Hydrolic Lifters

VW hydrolic lifters are good to 7800 rpm where the fluid foams up and the valves dont move. However its not that big a deal if your porting the heads to add mechanical lifters to the head as I did with my 16v GTI. The car sounds like 3 sewing machines in the engine bay, but 8krpm is alot of fun.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: Intake manifold

If you install the manifold onto a car with "stock" heads, you will see no gains.

Its designed to be used with the ported & polished
heads. Because the heads have larger intake ports (ported) you "need" the ported manifold to fully reep the benifits of the ported heads.

Its the "link in the chain" process.

You already have the K&N cone, and ported throttlebody. So you've taken care of the 2 items upstream of the intake & heads. Once you do the intake & heads, you would need to modify the exhaust. Because it would be the biggest restriction in you intake/exhaust system.

Many people think you can just throw on a set of heads, and Poof! Instant power! It wont work without modifying those items upstream & downstream of the heads. The entire intake & exhaust system needs to be considered, to fully gain from your mods.

Just like installing a set of Schrick cams into a totally stock engine. Zero gains, because nothing else was modified, to allow the cams to fully function.

The stock intake/exhaust system is very restrictive. The factory builds them that way to retain the heat inside the motor to reduce emissions. Another item to consider when you modify. If you live in an area where you have to get emission inspections. Modifying your cars intake/exhaust system fully, and it probably wont pass emissions.

Luckily I live in an area which does not check emissions. They "look" for the cats, but no probe up the pipe!
Old 10-04-2001, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Intake manifold

Thanks for the reply and help. I have a custom exhaust from the resonator back. I have not found a full custom system with cats and the whole shibang yet. Any recommendations? The place in town that I go to aftermarket performance really does not help me very much and said no one made a full exhaust for my car.

Thanks again.

Mat
Old 10-04-2001, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Emissions...

Just wanted to say that I live in Pennsylvania and we do have an emissions test as part of our yearly inspections.

I have my before and after results for my Exhaust, Headers, and Big Valve Heads, and there was virtually no difference. I understand that cams will make a fairly significant difference as far as emissions go, but I have a ton of room to play with, so I'm not too concerned.

If anybody wants to see my actual numbers, let me know and I'll try to post the results sometime this week.

Scott
Old 10-04-2001, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Re: Emissions...This is good to know! Thanks Scott! Now to see how my Schrick cams fair......
Old 10-04-2001, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: They are correct.

No one makes a "full" system for our cars.(Pre A4)

There are exhaust fabricators who can do the job!

Check out Speed Tech!<ul><li><a href="http://www.speedtechmfg.com/">http://www.speedtechmfg.com/</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Help: Ported Heads and New Cams for 12v V6; Maybe MikTip can help me?