help with starter removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with starter removal

I know this is the hundredth thread about this, but I havent found any on my car at all. I ordered the repair manual yesterday, but it wont be here for a week, it's being shipped to the U.S. from England, so I need help now. First off it spins but isnt making contact at all with the flywheel, is this the sylinoid, I thought it was but my buddy said no, that if it moves at all it isnt the sylinoid. Also my car is an 88 80 with the 2.0 four cylinder, and front wheel drive automatic, and I have no idea how to even start taking it off, I know where it is, I traced the positive from the battery, but thats as far as I can get ,any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are in for a fun ride!

That starter is a complete pain, especially if you have the thick heat shield over it.

if the starter spins but doesn't make contact with the flywheel then try two things. Take a socket and turn the crank of the engine a bit. You can usually do this just by putting a socket on the alternator pulley and turning, if this won't do it, then you'll have to use a 19mm and turn the crank bolt. If the starter engages after you do this, then you have a few broken teeth on your flywheel. Hope to god it doesn't start because that's bad news!

If it still spins freely, then the bendix gear inside the starter is not working properly. Sometimes you can whap the starter with a hammer a few times and it will start working. Try this first. If no, then you'll need a new starter and that one is a serious bitch. The heat shield is held down by allen bolts that VAG loves to use (I swear that VAG bought stock in allen fasteners or something) and the allen heads are particularly hard to get to just to remove the heat shield. The downpipe most also be removed both at the manifold and at the converter. The starter bolts aren't that hard to get to, just the rest of it is! Good luck!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Allen heads are a German thing

I work with a bunch of German equipment. Allen bolts for EVERYTHING!!

It looks like to me that if you're going to work on something made in Germany, don't even start without an assortment of hex head sockets and Allen wrenches.