Hey MikTip, I am installing the Wilwood's on my A4... was wondering if you could help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is the caliper flexing or its mounting bracket?

It looks like its the actual caliper flexing, but I'm going to double check this weekend. I bought mine a few months after you got yours. I don't know the exact generation the calipers are. Have the new ones truly been improved that much? Is anyone aware of a better caliper available that can use the wilwood brackets, doubtful I guess. The wilwoods really appealed to me initially because they fit under my 15" winter tires and were decently priced. I haven't given up quite yet, but at the moment my brakes don't inspire much confidence. Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2002, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hmmm?

I've been told to fabricate a steel bracket.

I've been told to change the bolts which hold the calipers together? Or Re-touque them?

May you have some loose bolts?

I'll see if I can get digi-pic of my bracket for compairson to yours. )
Old 04-03-2002, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2x a year x $8 per caliper. (Seal kits cost $8) How much to rebuild the Porsche caliper? :o)

Granted the Porsche caliper is a better caliper, much longer between rebuilds, and should be for $400+ each!

Rebuilding the Wilwood, at a minimum, annually
for a "street" driven car is more than enough!
I recently rebuilt mine after 15 months of use.

They did not need to be rebuilt. Could of easily went another year!

What I have done is purchase another set of calipers! At $100 each, I can afford to rotate them annually. Rebuild the removed set and have them ready for next year. ;o)
Old 04-03-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: 2x a year x $8 per caliper. (Seal kits cost $8) How much to rebuild the Porsche caliper? :o)

nah...you can find boxter, 993, and 996 calipers for under 300 each (boxters can be had for 225 or so each). also, rebuild frequency would be roughly that of a G60, maybe longer (several years, if ever? the G60's on the 5kq are all OE, never been touched except pads...). also, you have performed some work arounds for the problem areas of the DL's...which i would do if i ran them as well.

i agree, the Wilwood is a good budget caliper, has a very good support/parts dept, and for the money probably not much better is out there. actually looking at the DL2 for the rear of my car once its track only (no e-brake, but i hardly use it as is right now anyway).
Old 04-03-2002, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Rebuild kits

Where do you guys get the rebuild kits for the wilwoods? What do the rebuild kits include? As well have any of you rebuilt the rear calipers, the parking brake mechanism has frozen on one of my calipers and I might as well rebuild both.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, I came into this thread a little late
Old 04-03-2002, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you
Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks again for your help, I will try it out, yes, I do have the anti-rattle clips
Old 04-03-2002, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Rebuild kits

for the rears...

piston seal kit 8D0 698 671
guide boots (for the slides) 443 698 470

need two of each. if you get new caliper carriers they come with slides and boots...

as for wilwoods, check with wilwood themselves. they have ordering info and such (like authorized dealers).
Old 04-03-2002, 04:33 PM
bkw
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default hey aash, here's the reason why i didnt use these calipers..

they dont fit. the calipers wouldnt fit over the rotors. i installed them and realized that the caliper was sitting ontop of the rotor. the diameter of the rotors on your car are just a tad too big. thus making the rotor not able to spin freely.

the kit came with brembo rotors.. my guess is that theyre a teeny bit smaller than the zimmermans on your car.

oh, if youre thinking about changing back to the stock rotors, that doesnt work either.. it took dmak and i about a hour of blood and sweat to realize that the zimmermans and the oem ones are the same exact size.

there's a couple ways you might be able to work this out.. the first is to open up the holes a little. i didnt want to try to do this cuz it might effect the integrity of the calipers. god forbid they crack while driving!
the other thing you might wanna try is to contact wilwood directly and ask them to sell you the brembo rotors that come with the kit.. just make sure you double and triple check the diameter of the rotor that theyre sending you.
and lastly, which i was very very close to doing myself is to shave a little off the top of the rotors themselves. take the rotors to a brake guy and instead of resurfacing the rotors, ask if they could trim the rotor by about .5cm.. that should leave you plenty of space between the top of the rotor and the caliper.

btw, YOUR CAR LOOKS EFFING AWESOME!!

-b

Quick Reply: Hey MikTip, I am installing the Wilwood's on my A4... was wondering if you could help me out...