Hey Toxcheap....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Toxcheap....

I was looking over my options on the Intermediate shaft for the 16V project. I know the 9A shaft works, you said you're using the PL shaft and machining it to work. I believe the 3A shaft can also be used as long to the front is machined and slotted to accept the PL "male" key sprocket. Seems like this is the easiest way to go, the work is minimal, and this way the stock shaft and oil pump can still be used. Figured I'd share - you still, of course have to run the head distributor and plug the block distributor hole, but this seems like an easier route than sourcing a 9A shaft or machining the PL shaft itself.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hey Toxcheap....

That's an interesting idea. Let me know if you can adapt it. If you adapt it you'll still need to run the smaller oil pump (right?) Yeah finding someone to part with a 9A I-shaft requires an act of god. LOL I have both if you want a side by side shot, so you can see the difference I could probably get you that. I just got an idea, I'll try to check for you to see whether or not the 3A and 9A oil pump gears are the same. That way if you could mod the I-shaft with 9A parts you could use the bigger oil pump.
Do you post on the vortex? The guys in the forced induction forum were helpful. HTH
Old 12-14-2003, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In since I'll be adapting the stock 3A shaft with the PL sprocket.....

No need for a different oil pump. The machining is easy. The front of the 3A shaft is about 1/2 inch longer, as the center hub of the 3A sprocket has a deeper backspacing. The 3A sprocket is a female key, while the PL is a male, which makes the machining on the 3A shaft easy, just mill down the 1/2 inch to the face and cut the slot for the key on the PL sprocket to fit. Should be easy. I'll let you know how it works - shouldn't be a tough issue - after all the shaft only turns the oil pump - hell Ford V8s do that with a 7mm hex shaft!
Old 12-14-2003, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: In since I'll be adapting the stock 3A shaft with the PL sprocket.....

<<<"Figured I'd share - you still, of course have to run the head distributor and plug the block distributor hole, but this seems like an easier route than sourcing a 9A shaft or machining the PL shaft itself.">>> &
<<<<"- shouldn't be a tough issue - after all the shaft only turns the oil pump -">>>>

No the intermediate shaft runs the distributer, the distributer runs the pump.
I thought you were talking about machining the other side of the I-shaft. If you use your 3A shaft and pull the distributer out of the block and cover the hole as you described above nothing will spin the pump.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just leave the 3A distributor there then, even though you run the head distrib.

Goofy, but o-well. Didn't think about the oil pump - thanks for pointing that out - I was getting ahead of myself!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Just leave the 3A distributor there then, even though you run the head distrib.

Will the distributer clear the intake manifold? I thought I read it wouldn't. Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to give you a heads up.
HTH
Old 12-14-2003, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It should, it doesn't even need a cap and rotor on it.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just looked at some pictures and it should be fine.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sweet, thanks for looking into that as I'm lazy right now!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Sweet, thanks for looking into that as I'm lazy right now!

So, what's the project(s) you're doing?
I've got a 9A block in the barn that may end up in the '81 Scirocco, with or without forced induction...
Chris

Quick Reply: Hey Toxcheap....