Hood cable help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood cable help!!

Anybody out there who has done the hood conversion, how did you re-adjust your hood cable? I'm having a hell of time getting right! The driver side releases but the passenger side doesn't. How in fact does the hood locks work!? When I use to pull the latch before the conversion you can literally feel the latches release and hear them too. But with the new hood I can barely hear the driver side let go, and there is quite a bit tightness when I pull on the release. There is no binding anywhere that I can see. Help anyone??!!
Old 03-14-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Hood cable help!!

You have to adjust the spring loaded catches on the hood so they are centered into the opening on the support brackets. Otherwise they will bind and not release. I did this by puting masking tape over the openings and applying a dot of paint on the bottom of the catch and gently lowering the hood so as to leave a mark. Don't put the headlights or grille in until you get the adjectment correct or you will have difficulty opening the hood is misaligned. The spring loaded catches adjust by loosening the large nut at their base. Also be sure the cable is releasing the catch bars inside the openings. It took me awhile to get this right. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2002, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Questions??

1/ The nylon sleeves, which way are they suppose to make contact with the release rods. It seems mine face in opposite directions. Are they suppose to face in the same direction? When I pull on the release latch in the car, do the nylon sleeves lock into the release rods and pull in the same direction? looking at the russian site, it shows differently than mine.
2/ The spring catches, when you loosen the large nut, can you move the latches side to side enough to center them into the openings?
Old 03-14-2002, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Questions??

As to question 2, yes, you can move them side to side quite a bit. They must not rub against the side of the holes they fit into or else they will bind and not release. I dont recall the answer to #1 without looking at the car.