How much are you paying for Pentosin green & where are you getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much are you paying for Pentosin green & where are you getting it?

Me from NAPA and at $15.00 a can.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pentosin? .. Green?...I called my original owner, he said mines supposed to be black??
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM

LOL! He was right...yours was BLACK!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default last time... stealership... and TOOOO much!

Can't seem to find a non-dealer source for that stuff here in Canada... but either way, they want too much for it!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

is that what she said?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a NEW can of it here on my desk - its yours....

In return I have an 8 to 10 item laundry list of DIY projects that need to be done on the CQ....
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Canadian non-dealer sources for G 002 000: independant foreign car garages ...

in the Kingston area have it for slightly less than the dealer price.

It does sound as though Mance's leak-stop fix would be where the real savings start to add up.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Uhmm....

I don't think I live anywhere near you... how would I help?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i've had the same can on my shelf for years. Got it from some Worldpac source
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Additionally there seems to be a significant number of people that have swiched to ATF...

and enjoyed years of success with it as a replacement fluid for 11S. And it's LOTS cheaper & available EVERYWHERE!! I haven't personally tried it yet but on my existing PS hydraulic system using a stop-leak product with 100% success to-date, I may well throw it another curve and see what happens with 100% ATF and a repeat 6oz stop-leak treatment. I won't even bother to flush after draining it as I'm curious just how far I can push the system since a TOTAL PS system replacement consisting of rack, pump and line is on the agenda in May/June anyway.

In doing research on this I've found ATF is just mineral oil with a special additive package of detergents, seal conditioners and red dye for identification purposes. Pentosin 11S is also a mineral oil with an additive package of detergents, seal conditioners and a green dye for identification purposes. The synthetic type ATF's are just synthetic oil stocks with an identical weight/viscosity and, yep, you guessed it, an additive package consisting of detergents, seal conditioners and dye, identical to the mineral-based stocks. Ask any oil company what is in their ATF products and you will see they are composed of at least 95% mineral oil base stock or synthetic oils/blends with detergents, seal conditioners and dye. IT'S ALL THE SAME! ATF/ATF synthetic is the par equivalent of a 15Wt oil. Any guesses as to what Pentosin 11S is? Yep, 15Wt! Mineral oil? 15Wt! Ya starting to see the "whole picture" here!?! The detergent package is higher than conventional motor oils so they clean more effectively, thats all. We're all just paying absurdly ridiculous amounts for 11S which "should" easily and effectively be swapped for ATF. Try this experiment yourself:

1. Pour equal amounts of ATF, 11S and 100% mineral oil (from a pharmacy) into 3 separate small glass jars.

2. Place a small equal amount of dirt from your yard/garden in each jar and shake vigorously for 60 seconds. The ATF/11S will foam slightly but the pure mineral oil won't.

3. Let jars sit for 24 hours then visually check each jar. The ATF & 11S will suspend all but the largest/heaviest "undisolvable" silica/sand particulates of dirt suspended in the oil so it can be dispersed and captured by a filter/strainer just like any household dishwashing detergent would (thats why dishwater gets dirty)! Think "surfactant" here (look it up). The pure mineral oil stays clear as ALL the dirt will settle at the bottom of the jar!

Nothing at all rocket science about ANY of this and we're ALL paying astronomically exorbitant prices for an additive package consisting of dye, detergents and seal conditioners added to mineral oil which are ALL "dirt-cheap" (pun intended).

I've seen Dexron I & II available on-sale at 77 cents a quart within the past 2 weeks at Checker Auto Parts!

Quick Reply: How much are you paying for Pentosin green & where are you getting it?