How to pull fault codes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pull fault codes?

I have a pre march 1990 Audi 90 20v and cant figure out what is wrong with it. Starts and runs rough. They didnt make this car with a check engine light for some reason... its been to 3 different shops and no one can figure out how to pull the codes off of it. If I take it to the dealership will they be able to pull the codes or will i just be wasting time and money? I have read the LED light way on 20v.org and it seems like a huge pain in the ***. Any advise will help guys.. thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pulling codes & rough starting...

Pulling codes: As you have you seen this...

http://20v.org/fault.htm

and have been disappointed with three different shops, you are coming around to the idea that perhaps you are going to have to fix it. "Seems like"? Where you expecting to do that with just mouse clicks?

The same frustration you feel drove others to both find out how and build that site. Are you up to that challenge?

The above site may also help you with your rough starting diagnosis if you will but use it. Often those kind of symptoms can be the result of something like a simple leak of un-metered air into the intake tract. Because that air is not measured by the air meter, the appropriate fuel is not dispensed to mix with it, which can result in rough starting/running. 20v.org and this site with the search function will glean you many places to look for leaks, dirty ISVs, deteriorated vacuum and crankcase vent lines etc.

These usual suspects are a good place to start because their condition must be assured, and fixing them is simple and cheap.

Consider that if you find such tasks daunting, what are your alternatives? You have a car that is potentially great, if you don't learn how to get it there, you might never know how good it can be.

These cars are not cherished by the lucky few without good reason.