I grind second while downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 08:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: it only grinds while downshifting, upshifting is no problem at all.

Well if it grinds when downshifting then it's most likley a gearbox problem. If it was grinding both up and down then the linkage may be at fault, but this indicates a bad synchro most likely. You can heel toe, but that's a bit advanced, though double de-clutching can solve that problem. I do this all the time to save my synchros the stress, plus it's great on snow and slippery surfaces to keep everything mated at the right speeds.

When you go to downshift into second, should be a rare occasion (no need to downshift at stops), clutch down, into neutral, clutch up, blip the throttle, clutch down, insert the lever into 2nd at the proper matched throttle (this can take some time to get used to), then clutch out. What this does is allow both engine and transmission to get to the same speed in the downshift before you bring the two together, works beautifully and makes shifting effortless. On our '01 Allroad the box went after 700 miles and a whole trip from NY to RI I had to double clutch and double de-clutch, worked great and no grinding, but shifting normally caused massive grinding (bad 2nd and 3rd synchros in a new box). Double de-clutching can be a great help in snow, coming to a stop quickly, want to get into 2nd smoothly, drop into neutral, blip the throttle, clutch down, pop into gear, clutch out, and no rev up of the transmission, comes together at the same speed, saves the box and clutch with no lurching or slipping.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2002, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks...

you guys really think its bad synchros?

I sure hope not, 2k isnt fun....heh

I'll also try to heel-toe, besides, its fun!

Its really not a major problem...in fact if I remember correctly it *might* have grinded upshifting on random occasions.

Oh well, at least its still easily driveable

Got some stuff to fix first, like front CV joints and stuff, central locking system has a leak somewhere, sunroof is stuck popped up (thank god for summer), and if I were to be really picky I could say the AC needs a recharge.

Even still, none of those things, aside from the suspension are essential for safe operation....I bought the car knowing some things were wrong with it...its kinda an easy project car.

Blah, I'm rambling..