I think my ignition switch just died - need advice and help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my ignition switch just died - need advice and help

1989 Audi 90Q. Was running fine until I got in it a few days ago. Turned the key and nothing. No click or other noises. Tested the starter solenoid per the repair manual and measured no voltage at terminal 50. Book says I should have about 8V. Measured 12V at the starter terminals but the solenoid isn't getting the signal from the switch. So, it appears my key switch went bye bye. Is there anything else I should look at? How hard is it to replace or repair the switch? How they hell do you get it out?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default switch is easy....remove cluster, unplug siwtch

keep key in ignition, loosen...not remove two small...VERY small screws from around switch. Pull switch out, put new switch in. Plug, re-install cluster.

Yes...its that easy.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Default I'm not quite following you...

When you say "cluster" what do you mean exactly?

Do I need to get behind the switch from under the dash? Is there a write up somewhere? I've searched but couldn't find a decent step by step write up on this job.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I'm not quite following you...

Take steering wheel off by way of nut behind horn pad. Then, remove top of clam shell via two phillips head screws accessible from underneath clam shell. Next, remove instrument cluster by way of two phillips head screws at the bottom. Once you've disconnected the connectors at the back of the cluster, disconnect the connector at the back of the ignition switch. The ignition switch is secured by two tiny flat head screws. You don't have to take them all the way out; loosen until you can pull the switch out. Also, as a precaution, disconnect the battery before attempting this. I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but, this is how I've done it.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Default You have to take off the steering wheel and gauge cluster?!?

The switch is on the dash. Can't you reach it from underneath??
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I suppose you could, however, I believe the methods described so far are easiest.

It really isn't that hard at all. Get an extension and a 20-something millimeter socket and you're golden. To access that nut, pull on the hornpad at the top two corners and it should pop right off. Remember how your steering wheel is positioned before you take it off and you should have it (switch) done in less than 20-minutes. You'll need the following tools:

1 Phillips screwdriver
1 Ratchet -> Extension -> Socket (27mm??)
1 jewelers flat head screw driver
Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 AM

OK. Just sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Where would you recommend buying the switch from?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cluster as in instrument cluster behind the steering wheel

some people find it easier to remove the steering wheel to remove the cluster but it can be easily removed without removing the wheel for sure. Need to remove the wheel top cover, two screws from underneath the cover. Then remove two screws that hold the the cluster in. Next, unplug all the wiring. Then you can get you head in there and take a look or feel around. The ignition switch is a large bundle of wires going behind. The harness gets pulled out. Now with the key in the ignition, unscrew the two small flat head screws...may need like eyeglass repair kit...very small. They may also be covered by a red paint, they are there...just loosen em. Pull the old switch old noting it orientation. Put new one in and follow instructions in reverse.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

its not alot of work, just more additional to remove steering wheel, but IMO...you don't need to.

Quick Reply: I think my ignition switch just died - need advice and help