If you could buy a $300 audi, what would it be to make it a rally car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could buy a $300 audi, what would it be to make it a rally car?

I'm thinking a 4000Q or a 80 Q with everything stripped out of the interior.

How hard would it be to buy a 80 or a 90 and drop a 5cyl turbo from a 86-88 5000K?

I imagine this is all that is involved:
Bolt on 5cyl subframe from a 90 w/5cyl
drop in 5 speed trans and motor from donor car.
add pedal assembly from 5 spd car if automatic
make brake fluid cylinder mods so you can have something to run the hydraulic clutch (screw this I'm getting a car w/ 5 spd already)
Install ECU
Install wiring harness

Fire it up?
Old 10-11-2002, 04:37 PM
No Bozos!

Default Sure

That would do it I suppose.

But, rallying these days also means, just as much or more in safety equipment. That'll cost a few pennies.

In terms of getting it rolling. A relatively stock quattro would do just fine actually. They're bullet-proof, and as in any race finishing is half the battle.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: If you could buy a $300 audi, what would it be to make it a rally car?

Howdy! If it's a rally car it's gotta be a quattro, no point really any other way. If it's a quattro no worries about clutch pedals or systems, all quats in that era are manual. You don't need subframe changes either since the engine bolts to the frame and all you need to do is use the 4k or 80/90 engine mounting wings on the 10v turbo, bolt on. Then you can do a full harness swap, pain in the ***, or a custom programmable fuel system is easier in terms of wiring, but pricier for the budget rally car. Then biggest issue with the 10v turbo drop into a 4k or 80/90 is the airbox and turbo plumbing. You can use the stock airbox and airflow plate setup, but then you need a KH style turbo routing, the feed hose to the turbo rides on top of the EM pretty much. The Urq airbox and airflow plate is the stock option, but pricey and hard to find used.

Pretty much the way to go is, pick up a 4kq, gut it completely except for the dash and two seats. Weld up a roll cage, a minimum is a roll bar behind your head to save your life in a roll over. Fit up an MC engine from a 5kt. Use the stock 4k fuel system, custom route some plumbing for the turbo feed, 5kt intercooler up front in the grille area deleting the factory secondary radiator, then back to the intake manifold. You can run around 7-10 psi on the stock 4kq fuel system, if you want more add in an auxillary fueling system and crank the boost. Don't forget you may need a bent passenger's tie rod to clear the wastegate, some have gotten away without this though.

If you want to run full boost right off the bat then you need to do the full harness swap, a big project in itself.

I know folks who have done the whole 4ktq project for under $1k, loads of used parts, got much of their own equipment including welding rigs to make the intake tract, roll cage, and so on.

It's not a small project, but if you well equipped and know your 5kt and 4kq then it's not a crazy project. We will be working on a 10vt swap into my buddies 80q next spring most likely, sort of a street/rally car in the end, road legal but ready to play offroad.

Even just having a beater 4kq in the winter is nice, doesn't take much power to get sideways on a set of nice snows tires

Cheers,
Old 10-11-2002, 05:15 PM
No Bozos!

Default Before you start

welding yourself up a cage. Give the SCCA a jungle, and get a rulebook. Recent rule changes have obsoleted a good number of cars, for safety reasons.

If you're serious, give me a ring.

BTW, you need a gusseted full cage, with a preapproved design. You must locate a licensed inspector, to first approve the design, then have him inspect it along the way.

A friend was going to revive an old RX3, and it got failed for too many stress cracks.

Check before you do anything.

Also, if you are indeed serious check, Ben's Rally Page for a used Quattro already built. I can gaurantee, it'll cost less than doing it all yourself.

Send me an email, and I'll give you my phone number if you want to chat.<ul><li><a href="http://www.cwl.com/bensrallypage/">Ben's Rally Page</a></li></ul>
Old 10-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Before you start

Howdy! Well I was thinking "rally car". A fun little toy to take offroad, not a club or pro SCCA car. Though I myself would love to get a 4ktq done up to SCCA specs and really learn how to drive rally properly, not much experience and would expect it to take a very long time to get very comfortable and learned in the sport. Rally-X sounds like the ticket to learn, but I wouldn't have the time to play right now.

Cheers,
Old 10-11-2002, 07:17 PM
No Bozos!

Default A lot of people are starting to think RallyX

It's certainly a lot cheaper.

You can run what ya brung.

No special licenses.

A lot more frequent.

BUT, just like an autoX, the smaller cars still do well.

I run the series here in the N.E., and with all that I have, I barely beat the small Subaru's, who's owners don't mind turning into pulp, on a Saturday afternoon. Funny, though, they don't ever seem to come back for the next round.