Larger front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger front sway bar?

I'm thinking of upgrading the front sway bar on my B4 90 Quattro Sport from the stock 26mm to a larger size for autocrossing (yes I know this will make the car understeer more but I can compensate by adjusting the alignment) I know that the 28mm S2 bar will fit, are there any other choices?

Any suggestions for places to get the S2 bar? Achtuning can order them but I have been quoted 6+ weeks for delivery and I'd like to get it sooner if at all possible.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Xel

Default what's the point of getting a front sway bar if u are going to re-adjust everything with alignment?

I assume u are going to get a camber kit to decrease understeer. Why don't you re-adjust the camber without getting the front sway bar?

What are you trying to accomplish?

A thicker rear sway bar will be cheaper, easier to get, won't need buying a camber kit. I suppose you know that by adjusting the camber you will be destroying your inner tire side(assuming stock springs/shocks).

Have you discovered a "revolutionary" on how to make quattro handle "better"? :-)
Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wouldn't Wider wheels and tires help compensate for that a little anyway??
Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You are already running an S2 front sway bar

The part number the B4 front bar is 895411309. This is the same partnumber as the S2. Both are 26 mm.

The 28mm front bar is off an RS2. You should also use the RS2 drop links as they are stronger.

The reason for the long delivery time, is they have to come out of Europe. Unless you want to pay the high cost of air freight, the slow boat takes 4 weeks, and costs a lot less.

A larger front bar will just increase your understeer. You can't put enough camber in to compensate for the increased understeer.

You also can't adjust the stock suspension for enough camber to increase inner tire wear. Increased camber does not necessarily increase inner tire wear. Toe out and toe in effects tire wear more than camber ever will.

You would be better off spending the funds on a rear bar. There are a couple of choice. 2Bennett a bar approximately 19mm verses the 16mm stock bar. These is also an adjustable bar from a company call Whiteline in Australia. The bar is 18mm, but comes with 3 adjustable holes. Shortening the torque will give you the qualities of a 20mm bar.

Whiteline and H&R both make camber bolts which can be used to adjust the hubcarrier angle to the strut.

Greg<ul><li><a href="http://www.whiteline.com.au/">http://www.whiteline.com.au/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-24-2004, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default is the 2B bar just resale on the Neuspeed one? If not a third option is a Neuspeed 19mm adj...

It's for an A4, but will fit a B4 90 (as I am told.) It's rather expensive though... you'd be wise to wait &amp; see if they ever come on sale again, OR source a bar from some place else. They Neuspeed website isn't the only place to buy 'em, however I don't know off the top of my head what other outlets you can visit.

check yah later
Old 01-25-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Why I need it

I compete in SCCA Solo II stock class autocrossing. The rules do not allow you to change the rear sway bar, only the front. Likewise camber kits and bigger wheels are illegal.

In it's current configuration with Koni adjustables, Hoosier R3S03 tires and as much camber as I can get the car tends to *oversteer* (yes, you heard me right) in all but low-speed corners (where it pushes a bit). Adding a slightly bigger front bar will counteract the oversteer tendency while adding only moderately to the push at low speeds (which aren't that common in Solo II). Plus while the car will push in those situations it will probably push at a higher speed.

I know that this seems odd from a street perspective and believe me if I was building a street-only car I wouldn't go this direction (probably stiffer springs and a rear bar) but as it is the front bar will probably help the situation (and if it doesn't I'll take it off and sell it).
Old 01-25-2004, 02:01 AM

Sorry, I ment RS2, oops
Old 01-25-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: what's the point of getting a front sway bar if u are going to re-adjust everything

See my post above for the details but basically it's because it's a stock-class autocross car and I can't make any of the changes you suggest.

WRT the alignment changes the key setting is rear toe-in. Changing from zero toe to 1/16" toe out will cause the car to oversteer more, counteracting the additional push caused by the bigger bar.

The camber settings certainly cause a little extra tire wear but we're talking Hoosier autocross tires here and generally they like a little extra camber, if you try running with too little you'll just rip up the outside edge of the tire.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Xel

what tire pressure setting are u running, so the car oversteers?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: what tire pressure setting are u running, so the car oversteers?

40 psi front, 38 psi rear with Hoosier A3S03 autocross tires (admittedly a little well-worn which may enhance the oversteer).

Quick Reply: Larger front sway bar?