Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More info on my quest to buy this local coupe quattro

Stats on the car:

Car: 1990 Coupe Quattro

Mileage: 218K

Owner: Almost original..he bought it in 1990 with 8K miles on it..has owned it since.

Modifications:
1) Engine: just a K&N panel air filter
2) Suspension: Koni adjustable shocks with H&R sport springs
3) Wheels/Tires: OZ Racing Superleggeras 17X7.5? with ok 215/45/17 tires (nothing special). Also comes with stock Speedline wheels...sans any tires. Right front Superleggera is bent pretty badly..flatspot due to flat tire some time back. He says the wheel is still true. I didn't notice any vibration while driving.
4) Lighting: PIAA dual purpose fog/driving lights. Hooked up with toggle switch in console..not ideal.
5) Aftermarket rear and center resonator. Rear resonator is Magnaflow with DTM tips. Sounds ok...car just isn't very fast at all.

Repair Issues:
1) Windshield cracked in upper right hand passenger side
2) Paint: Ugh..from far away the car looks much better..from close up the clearcoat is coming off and cloudy..especially on the drivers side..and hood (two terrible places to have paint problems). No repainting except for right rear quarter panel..grocery cart ding. No other significant dings or scratches.
3) Passenger side electric window motor shot..makes a hell of a racket when being operated.
4) Something going on with ABS system. He says its an issue with the left front sensor. I don't necessarily agree..could be way more.
5) Drivers side leather seat is torn pretty bad and badly worn on bottom portion of seat back. It would bug me leaving it alone.
6) Steering wheel has considerable wear on normal hand positions. Probably would change to momo steering wheel. Looks pretty bad.
7) Car idles very badly at start. Maybe O2 sensor.. maybe something more important. So, additional dollars will be necessary to figure out what is up with this. After going, works better..but it almost stalled twice on idle..

Other notables:
1) Car comes with colgan bra, and unknown car cover.
2) Only used synthetic oil. When did that stuff come available?
3) Car is pretty gutless, IMHO, way less power than my 1.8T A4. Sounds and looks decent from far away..but up close...lots of stuff that needs attending.

Asking price: $5K

So, my question is...should I attempt to get this car? If so, what price is reasonable after hearing all the info on the car. Of course, there could be additional mechanical issues. Sounds like this guy is pretty motivated to sell. Has two kids...needs four doors..wants to get a Mazda6 or Protege, slightly used. He is also looking for full time employment...so probably a bit more motivated to sell than most. I am thinking $3.5K at most...what do you think?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are looking at a $3,500-$4k max car there.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With all that crap wrong, start really low, like 2.5-3k

i sold my cq a year ago, in perfect running order, paint a little warn, driver's seat a little worn, and everything working for 4k, with 212,000miles. It obviously needs work. No way that car is worth 5k.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow, he's asking WAY too much.

Honestly, if it looks and runs anything like how I have it pictured, then I'm thinkin even 2500 bucks would be very generous.
There is a fellow here in MD with a pearl one which needs a clutch and suspension and has h&r/bilsteins and brembo 'big' brakes. He was askin 3200 and was quite firm on it. Check autotrader for within 50 miles of 21401 (Annapolis). Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:46 AM

keep in mind that you might be able to 'fix' that 'gutless' feeling
Old 09-14-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Wow, he's asking WAY too much.

Yeah, I completely agree. Markfank paid around $5000 for his near mint car with 125,000 on it. It also has HR/Eibach, mint interior, near perfect paint. 2.5k to 3k is what that thing should sell for.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd offer no more than 3k but start at 2.5k

The gut less thing I think just might be our cars. I know the CQ are not very guttsy but it might have some other sort of issue going on like an o2 sensor.

Idle is really easy to fix, just look for bad hoses and/or clean the ISV. I know if everything is not perfect on my Coupe it will idle like a$$ until fixed.

On the other hand the seat, steering wheel and paint are not so easy. Seats you might find someone selling there old ones in good shape but i am almost positive it has to come from a CQ. I have looked at 90's and 80's seats and the coupes floor panel is different so it doesnt bolt up right in the front. Prolly could make something work. Steering wheel is at least $150 for a momo then $40 for the adapter kit stuff. Lastly paint, My coupe is black and i cannot stand the paint. To make matters worse a couple area in the front panels are starting to peel off (that really P'ed me off). The black is horribly dull however i did find that with a nice polish it gives it a nice shine again but it is wearing off some 5 or 6 months later. I am just learning to deal with the paint until i can afford a complete repaint job done right.

-JIMMY
Old 09-14-2004, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I wouldn't pay more than a grand.

If you're looking for a project car, looks like you've found it. I don't know what you're looking to do with the car, but there are plenty more popping up with less issues than this one. Convenient that it's next door, but that's about it...
Old 09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, thats exactly how I bought my car(same condition and everything). I got mine for 2 grand.

Actually mine didnt run, had a mouse in the bell housing and needed a distributor...Just buy that eratz s2 for 12k...Seriously the car you are looking at was mine in the same condition, miles, paint, but no suspension or rims...So maybe up to 3500? Depends on how much YOU think its worth to you...
Old 09-14-2004, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your had many more miles, need a clutch, didn't run, and that car has some nice parts.

So I think it's worth $3.5K

Quick Reply: More info on my quest to buy this local coupe quattro