My car has been running about 2 ticks hotter than normal on the coolant temp gauge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car has been running about 2 ticks hotter than normal on the coolant temp gauge...

I was thinking about taking it in for a total coolant system flush/clean/refill. Think that's a good idea, or a waste of money?

The shop "uses a state-of-the-art machine, BG's CT2 Coolant Transfusion System, to completely flush old coolant from the radiator, engine block and all hoses. We first inspect the radiator cap, drain valve, overflow reservoir, and all connections for deterioration before adding a cooling system flush additive to the existing coolant. The additive is allowed to circulate throughout the entire system for about 20 minutes (it essentially removes tough organic deposits that result from oil fouling, grease and glycol oxidation residues). The bypass valve on the CT2 is then opened and the old antifreeze is back-flushed from the engine's cooling system. This is the preferred method of replacing the old fluid since back-flushing removes scale and debris not accessible when the coolant flows in the normal direction. As the old antifreeze is forced out of the cooling system, the BG machine simultaneously introduces new fluid. Once all the old antifreeze has been replaced, we simply reconnect the hoses.

As a matter of routine, Curry's also adds a cooling system conditioner whenever we flush a cooling system. This conditioner contains a balanced combination of pH buffering ingredients that act as acid neutralizers and work in conjunction with the coolants inhibitors to prevent corrosive damage to cooling system components. It also contains anti-foaming agents that help prevent bubbling in the system as well as oxide-forming ingredients that prevent corrosion of aluminum surfaces such as the radiator and the cylinder heads."

Mike
Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much?

Usually a DIY can save some major cash! ;O)
Old 08-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

How old is your T-stat? It's probably broken.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Get on AIM
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try flushing the cooling sys, I doubt that is the problem.

I don't know the systems as well on the b4, I would say a bad temp sensor, thermostat, or possibly a small leak somewhere. Check along the seams of the resevoir tank and all hoses.
To flush your rad. just under the plug on the bottom of the radiator or if you're like the b3's just pull the bottom hose off the radiator. Run a garden hose through the resevior until the water coming out the bottom is clear, then refill. On older audi's you refill with the car on and keep filling until the fans come on, duno about the b4's, probably a lot easier though.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2.5 years old (about 34K miles)
Old 11-02-2022, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Impressive engineering!!!

[Or you could just go out and buy some thing Japanese made and you could probably use lemonade all year round as coolant and it’ll run like a champ for 200,000 miles! The Germans over engineer everything!QUOTE=Hokie - STI avant;18383711]I was thinking about taking it in for a total coolant system flush/clean/refill. Think that's a good idea, or a waste of money?

The shop "uses a state-of-the-art machine, BG's CT2 Coolant Transfusion System, to completely flush old coolant from the radiator, engine block and all hoses. We first inspect the radiator cap, drain valve, overflow reservoir, and all connections for deterioration before adding a cooling system flush additive to the existing coolant. The additive is allowed to circulate throughout the entire system for about 20 minutes (it essentially removes tough organic deposits that result from oil fouling, grease and glycol oxidation residues). The bypass valve on the CT2 is then opened and the old antifreeze is back-flushed from the engine's cooling system. This is the preferred method of replacing the old fluid since back-flushing removes scale and debris not accessible when the coolant flows in the normal direction. As the old antifreeze is forced out of the cooling system, the BG machine simultaneously introduces new fluid. Once all the old antifreeze has been replaced, we simply reconnect the hoses.

As a matter of routine, Curry's also adds a cooling system conditioner whenever we flush a cooling system. This conditioner contains a balanced combination of pH buffering ingredients that act as acid neutralizers and work in conjunction with the coolants inhibitors to prevent corrosive damage to cooling system components. It also contains anti-foaming agents that help prevent bubbling in the system as well as oxide-forming ingredients that prevent corrosion of aluminum surfaces such as the radiator and the cylinder heads."

Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 11-30-2022, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay .
1. Check if the sensor for the radiator fan is working properly. It is mounted on the radiator itself. Replace it or you can run into major engine repair if it is not working.
2. Change the coolant in the radiator.
3. Change the T-stat I use 87 degrees, Wahler.
4. Spray the fuse box with contact spray. (In case it is electrical problem.)
5. When did you did your last oil change? Change it with full synthetic 5w30 or 5w40. (If you had done the mileage of motor oil it won't transmit heat well)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

look here https://avtopro.es/ for options for your car, I think you will find what you need
Old 05-14-2023, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by valev_bulgaria
Okay .
1. Check if the sensor for the radiator fan is working properly. It is mounted on the radiator itself. Replace it or you can run into major engine repair if it is not working.
2. Change the coolant in the radiator.
3. Change the T-stat I use 87 degrees, Wahler.
4. Spray the fuse box with contact spray. (In case it is electrical problem.)
5. When did you did your last oil change? Change it with full synthetic 5w30 or 5w40. (If you had done the mileage of motor oil it won't transmit heat well)
Can the oil make the car hot? I have had my car in the garage for two years because I had problems with the cooling system. Now I have replaced the expansion vessel and driven it about 16+ miles with no problems, it reaches operating temperature (100-110) and can cool the engine down to 90 degrees at low speed/idling.

But yesterday I was cruising and drove about 2 miles, one lap in the lead and then stood parked for about 15 minutes. Then we took half a lap again and drove home, just when we get home the car starts to boil.

Could it be because the car has old oil and filter? I have planned to service it this week, or do I still have problems with the cooling?