My Coupe was in an accident last night...some pictures and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Coupe was in an accident last night...some pictures and questions.

First of all, and most importantly, nobody was hurt.

Details:
I had let someone borrow my car and she was involved in an accident. It was not her fault, and there is a complete police report describing the incident, so the "other guy's" insurance will be taking care of repairing the car.

From my understanding of what happened, the person driving my car was in the right land making a right turn. The guy who caused the accident, was in the left lane (of a one-way street) trying to turn into an alley (not the same right that my car was taking). At any rate, the front quarter panel and drivers side door will most likely be replaced and the rear quarter panel should be able to be repaired. The damage isn't all that bad, but it's probably a little worse than the pictures indicate.

You can see all of the pictures here: http://www.quattrocoupe.com/damage.htm

So now for the questions (keep in mind that the bodyshop isn't open yet so I haven't been able to contact them):

- Anybody have any guesses as to the cost of the damage?
- Do you think the body shop will respray the entire car, or just the driver's side (the car is pearl white)?
- Any good suggestions as to where to get new OEM body parts (other than the dealer)?
- My bumper was damaged prior to this accident (before I bought the car), I'm not going to ask to have it replaced (insurance fraud), but do you think the adjuster will give me any grief over the fact that there was pre-existing damage?
- I assume that the car is not totaled; my guess would be about $2000 in damages, but that may go up if they have to respray the entire car (it really needs resprayed!)
- Any advice or suggestions as to anything else I should do or ask?

If they respray the car, chances are that I'll do the S2 bumper and B4 hood...

Thanks,
Scott<ul><li><a href="http://www.quattrocoupe.com/damage.htm">Damage Pictures</a></li></ul>
Old 03-14-2002, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a similar accident

I had a similar accident. What was damaged in my was the driver side door trim was pushed in so the doors wouldnt open. The fender was slightly pushed in. Both the doors and fender needing painting. The insurance also included the factory hubcab in the claim. I got the job down very nicely for about 200 to 300 dollars less than what the insurance paid about. Damged was estimated at $900 for parts/labor/painting.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Someone hit me like that in my 90...

The driver's side door was caved in similiar to yours. I went to a auto body shop that primarily works on German cars. The are well know around the Salt Lake area for the high quality work they do. Basically they put a new door panel on with all the trimmings, painted the door, the front panel and back driver's side passenger door. So they will paint just the part that had damage and then the two adjacent panels to "blend" the new paint look so it isn't as noticeable. The total price on mine came to about $1500. I would get the new hood now and have them instal and paint it while doing the other simple because in certain lighting you will see the swirls on the old paint and a beautiful finish on the new parts. Very noticeable on my 90, but oh well.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I had a similar accident

I was attending the Sno-Drift Pro Rally in Atlanta, Michigan in 2001 when some wannabe racer in a Jeep Cherokee with 5 people in it slammed into my 90 going approx. 30 mph in a drift. Well, the roads in Northern Michigan at that time of year were snow covered ice. Also, they're graded dirt roads with about a 4' high bank on each side. This guy hit me hard enough to push my 3800lb car with at least 500lbs. of people and gear up the bank. Hit me right at the driver's side A pillar. Front quarter, driver's door, pass. door, rear quarter, spoiler, driver's door glass, all bad. Over $6000 in all at the body shop with parts/paint/labor. Looks like new now, although it feels like the driver's door still needs alignment.<ul><li><a href="http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/30485/audi2.jpg">http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/30485/audi2.jpg</a</li></ul>