My new audi 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new audi 90

Hey guys i just got my first car and its an audi 90, i wanna know if you guys could help me slowly modify it over time . the car once its started it runs great however theirs a problem it has trouble starting up.well before in the past the car had its fuel pump changed cause of some issues do you think the fuel lines have something to do with it .it probably has around 150k miles on it so i was wondering if i can put some seafoam into it through the pcv hose but i cant find it can you guys help me thanks!!??
Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Easiest way to tell if it's fuel related is to turn the key all the way until JUST BEFORE you spring the starter motor. Let it sit for 5 seconds in order for the fuel pump to build pressure, then spring the starter. If that makes the car start quicker, answer the following questions, and we'll see where we can go from there.

When you swapped out the fuel pump, did you also replace the fuel filter?

Have you tested the fuel pump relay?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Do you know how to pull and test the fuel pressure regulator and injector nozzles?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol well as you can see im a total car newb. well the fuel pump was changed by the previous owner and no i havnt checked any of what you said but for starters i will check the fuel pump by turning the ignition halfway though
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i got some more info the fuel filter has been changed and also the fuel lines are gravity fed so ive been thinking thr fuel lines might have some residue in em and i might have blown out lik the previous owner did
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i got some more info the fuel filter has been changed and also the fuel lines are gravity fed so Ive been thinking the fuel lines might have some residue in em and i might have blown out like the previous owner did
Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Post more info bout the car, year and engine specifically. If it's the 4inline or 5inline there is no Pcv, there's a pita crankcase vent system that ya don't want to run seafoam through, however, the turn key to on suggestion is good, start with that, then get back to us, also. If your looking to maintain and modify this car yourself acquire a bentley or a Haynes at the very least bentley is best but Haynes will help ya squeak by.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the car is a 1990 and i dont think its a quattro it dosnt have it on the grill just the silver audi logo and the back just says 90
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The engine should be a 2.3L 130 horsepower 5-cylinder in-line fuel-injected
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok good, then i may be able to help ya =) did you do the on but no start for a few seconds test yet? if that fails and does not make it start, then i have a test for you to do, however, it requires that A) you go buy a noid light(if ya can find a single for bosch at the parts store, its prolly $10) or B) make a noid light (iirc ya need bare minimum a 12volt led yes it HAS to be an led, and a 1/4 watt 330 ohm resistor, doesnt matter which side of the led ya connect the resistor to, they are not directional[mine is made with all these and 2 8 inch pieces of wire with alligator clips on the end for easier connecting and visibilty when im inside the car]) then connect said noid light, to the cold start valve power plug and if ya have just the short version with no cables so ya can see, have someone turn the key to the on position, if the light is connected correctly and all is working it should light up, if not, try connecting the light the other way, if it still does not light up, your csv is not getting power, which suggests the 2 pin black water temp sensor on top of the cooling elbow attached to the head, is bad. (either that or you have wiring problems)
sorry if thats to much info bundled into one small space
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it starts fine however it will sometimes require me to turn the key back down start it back up. but when its on the starts to rattle and would stall out sometimes unless i give it some gas then it will settle it self out and work just fine i think the fuel lines are clogged what you think

Quick Reply: My new audi 90