Mystery light =/

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery light =/

When I bought my 1990 Audi 80 2.0 AT sedan at auction, I had to replace the whole instrument panel cause most of the guts were gone as I found out later. Well when I got one from the local junk yard and went to put it in. I notice that there was a wire with a light bulb on the end of it taped together along with the blue connector that fits into the back of the instrument panel which controls the odom and other things. Well, when I start the car the light comes on and then goes off sometimes. While I am driving I can see it come on and go out randomly. What the heck is this light? Is it a light that is suppost to be screwed back into my instrument panel? It wasn't when I took the panel out for replacement. I had to add some bulbs to the new panel cause some were missing.
If anyone has a 1990~ Audi 80, has taken their instrument panel out and or knows all the things that go into the back of it please fill me in, it is starting to worry me.
Many thanx!

Vurt
Old 07-30-2003, 04:24 PM

Default its prob the airbag sensor light

i just replaced some bulbs in my 95 90 the other day and i noticed that somebody had taken that light off the dash and it was sitting in the back not connected. I followed it and saw that it led to the airbag on my steering wheel. So i figured it must be the light for the dash that indicates if the airbag is bad? But actually now that i think of it there werent airbags on most cars back then? hmmm got me stumped, hope i helped some anyways! follow that wire and see where it leads to
Old 07-30-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Re: its prob the airbag sensor light

I can't trace where the light leads to do to all the tape that is wrapped around all the wires in the car, makes it almost imposs to trace things, unless you have a week off work and can unwrap all that wiring Heh.
I do have an Airbag in the steering wheel, that is it, it is plugged in. I also noticed inside, at the botom, of the center of the dash (where the A/C and radio are) there is some kind of control box that has warnings on it referring to the airbag and it seems to be pluged in with a big orangish funny connector. I don't have a light for an airbag in my instrument panel though, although I did get the panel from the junk yard. If it is the for the airbag, why does it blink randomly? Usally if something is bad or going bad and there is a indicator light that signals a defection, it blinks in a pattern.
Thanx!

Vurt
Old 07-30-2003, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Mystery light =/

It goes in the up arrow socket on your cluster witch is the air bar light you probley have a short.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:29 PM

my AB light is located bottom center comes on when i start the car then turns off a short time later
Old 07-31-2003, 04:08 AM

Default Up arrow? I need a pic please (lit up 1990~ audi 80 instrument panel)

Not sure what that is. If your talking about the up shift indicator (i'm guessing never seen one on an audi yet) I don't have a manual tranny.
Does anyone have a picture or can take a pic of their instrument panel with the lights lit up please?
Many thanx!

Vurt