Need some help! Engine shut down ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help! Engine shut down ...

Posted a couple times before, didn't get much attention. Really need some help.
Here's the thing: Gas can get cut off (engine will shut down) any time when driving or idling. My mechanic said there's nothing wrong with the fuel pump (new) and he really couldn't figure out what to do with it. I had also replaced the ignition switch, tried a new DPR, problem remained.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audi901988
Here's the thing: Gas can get cut off (engine will shut down) any time when driving or idling. My mechanic said there's nothing wrong with the fuel pump (new) and he really couldn't figure out what to do with it. I had also replaced the ignition switch, tried a new DPR, problem remained.
did you check your codes?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, but there's no engine light on. Will there still be any codes in the computer?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

by no engine light on, u mean the light dosnt come on at all? if thats the case, replace the bulb!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I mean no check engine light to indicate error.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

may be faulty thermotime sensor, or faulty wiring somewhere, but yes, drive it for atleast 5 minutes, with atleast 2 minutes of that being over 2500 rpm, i think it was, and then go home, park, leave it running, and put a fuse in the fuel pump relay then count the CEL flashes, will be 4 groups of flashes, up to 4 flashes per digit, obviously 1 flash followed by a pause is 1, 2 followed by pause is 2, so on so fourth.
write codes down, then bring them back here, or if you have one check your bentley, or haynes or whatever ya have.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All right, I haven't got time to come back since I bought another car. But I'm planning to pull the code this weekend. The problem is I don't think the car is capable to run 5 mins continuously, and if I read correctly, I'll have to drive it again if it shuts down. Can I park it in neutral and give it some gas, so I don't have to worry about driving on a busy road?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

car doesn't need to run to pull codes.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 PM
No Bozos!

Obviously check the codes. Make sure you actually have a bulb installed to be able to see any codes at all.

A bad fuel pump control unit will cause such a symptom and will not cause a CEL. I would CAREFULLY extract the unit and clean the contacts and reinstall.

I would also check the engine grounds by the distributor. If that group of grounds fail, the main ECU ground will be affected and that will cause many of the sensors to float. At that point the ECU will kill power to the FPU and...no fuel.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi901988
hi i have an 80 coupe mine was doing the same starting then cutting off and wouldn't start agin turned out to be my engine temp sensor/choke sensor on the back of the engine

Quick Reply: Need some help! Engine shut down ...