"New" Audi 80 rough at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" Audi 80 rough at idle

Hey guys, I am new to the world of trying to maintain my own car (more then just oil, tyres and brakes at least) and have just gotten myself a gorgeous Audio 80 2.0e manual with a dirty old ABT motor.
The previous owner had a mechanic for a dad and the amount of butchered parts and half done fixes is going to make this fun to do (every time i look i find something new)!
But enough about that..

On to my first problem, the car idles at a very low RPM, and the warmer it gets the lower the RPM. When cold i get idle at 1k roughly and all is well, as it warms up it drops off to the point where i need to give it gas to stop it stalling at the lights. From what i have gathered from the forum their are a lot of things that can influence this and i am having the odd case of sudden deceleration while attempting to accelerate which matches up to the Relay 30 issue (assuming this isn't ABK motors only).
Regardless of this i have found that one spark plug has snapped off at the lead end and the fuse for the "lambda probe heater" has been removed, i am on my way to get a new set of sparks all round and a new lead for the damaged one but before i replace the 10A fuse for the lambda probe heater i wanted to see if there is an obscure reason why anyone would remove this? Also thoughts on whether i should replace all the leads or just the damaged one?

Sorry about the train of thought rant!

Cheers

john
Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh i don't think it's the spark, just tried running it with the lead removed and its a whole new ball game... Must have been still making a connection, at least some of the time, its way worse with that off.
Now i just need to wait for the new sparks to come in and find me a new lead
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

The idle control valve is dirty inside. Very common issue. I'm sure you'll be able to find instructions on where it is and how to clean it.

All ICV's are pretty similar in design and principal. The hard part is actually figuring out where it is located in your specific vehicle. Google it, though. It's definitely a good job to help you learn more about caring for your car.

Besides... you do this on your own car and it works...? Just imagine all the hot chicks there are who are driving cars with rough idles. You go on a date. She drives. The idle is rough. You fix it. She's grateful. VERY grateful.

Screw G.T.L., buddy. It's all about the I.C.V. in the real world. THAT'S how you get ALL up under her hood, dawg.

LG... out.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Loudgoldwing

Screw G.T.L., buddy. It's all about the I.C.V. in the real world. THAT'S how you get ALL up under her hood, dawg.

LG... out.
Now there is some real learnin' they won't teach at school!

I have found the mysterious ICV and struggled with getting it off, I have decided this is a job i will need help with, looks like i need to pull of the injector to get at the screws for it. I have booked some time with a mechanically minded friend so that can wait for then.

New sparks and leads and the engine really purrs now instead of splutters and its fantastic once its off idle. Mucked around with the idle adjust and found a spot thats at least bearable, no more stalling at lights while day dreaming!

Will let you know how i get on with cleaning the ICV, thanks!