new gauges instal... ppl are going to hate driving my car LOL

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the radio illumination circuit that the stock unit uses?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nvm. mis-read your post and cant edit...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so a short wright up...
i dont think i have to explain to anyone how to remove the cluster. Find a flat and decent in size desk to work on, you will need a T10 bit, a cross bit 0 and 1 screwdrivers, and something to remove the 4 nuts that hold the temp and fuel gauge (i think its like a 6mm). Dont remove those 4 nuts till you have the whole cluster disassembled and pulled out of the housing (trust me on that one). remove all the screws with T10, 0 and 1 bits (use the 0 on the 2 smallest screws that hold the harness for the temp display, same 0 bit for the two that hold the temp display in place) Remove the temp display ONLY if you are installing the rings! So now you should have two portions, the gauges with the main board and the plastic housing. Now here is the fun part...
This step is for those of you that did get the ring and wana know how the heck those things fit... here is what i did. I split the upper portion of the glass from the housing. Trust me, its a PAIN IN THE (__!__)!!! Using one of my ex-gf's hair drier (shes not getting that sucker back!) heat up the seam to where you cant touch it anymore (just dont melt it and use something to protect your heands) so the plastic becomes more flexible and dosnt crack on you as easy, also the jointed area appears to come apart more willing then before. Those audi bastards decided to join it together amout every 5-7mm) Using a butter knife and a flat screwdriver (i used the knife more then anything) keep prying on the two parts (also pushing on the glass from inside helps) just be careful not to crack the glass as its really easy to do. All you need is just the upper portion to come apart so you can get the big rings in. (You may come up with a batter more effective way to do this, and if so, props to you! But this is all i could figure out at the moment) Now another portion that was kicking my rear end for good 30min. getting those rings to snap in. All you can do on that is get as much of the ring to be seated in place and the portion that is bent out, just use your fingers to snap it in. 3 of my snapped in easy, the forth big one... well, it almost got thrown against the wall! After that is all said and done and couple smoke brakes in between, use some sort of glue that will not damage the glass (superglue dose, it puts a film on the glass that will not come off) glue it all together and you are good to go! Buy the way, if you brake anything in the process, I have nothing to do with it! All of this is, do it at your own risk!
Now, the more interesting part :-)
you got your instrument cluster sitting in front of you with the gauges facing upwards. remove the needles first, they pull straight up. Temp and fuel gauge have a cut out in them, so they will only go back on one way. tech and speedometer needles you will have to zero out when trying to put back in. So you got your needles off, now remove the 4 screws that hold the speedo and tech face plates. Attach the tech one on, then FLEX the speedo wiring tab (and i mean just flex, if you try to bend it, it will brake) to where the wires and the tab are not siting on top of the plastic as it will get pinched when you install the housing back on, while its flexed, put the screws in. Also think about how you are going to guide the wires out. I will show you in pictures how i did my, it may not be the best way to do it, but it works. All youll have to do is cut 2 small openings to lead the wires out of the cluster (one side for tech and temp, the other side for fuel and speedo)
k, i'm falling asleep here, so ill finish this up tomorrow...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tpiwwp! =d
Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
so a short wright up...
i dont think i have to explain to anyone how to remove the cluster. Find a flat and decent in size desk to work on, you will need a T10 bit, a cross bit 0 and 1 screwdrivers, and something to remove the 4 nuts that hold the temp and fuel gauge (i think its like a 6mm). Dont remove those 4 nuts till you have the whole cluster disassembled and pulled out of the housing (trust me on that one). remove all the screws with T10, 0 and 1 bits (use the 0 on the 2 smallest screws that hold the harness for the temp display, same 0 bit for the two that hold the temp display in place) Remove the temp display ONLY if you are installing the rings! So now you should have two portions, the gauges with the main board and the plastic housing. Now here is the fun part...
This step is for those of you that did get the ring and wana know how the heck those things fit... here is what i did. I split the upper portion of the glass from the housing. Trust me, its a PAIN IN THE (__!__)!!! Using one of my ex-gf's hair drier (shes not getting that sucker back!) heat up the seam to where you cant touch it anymore (just dont melt it and use something to protect your heands) so the plastic becomes more flexible and dosnt crack on you as easy, also the jointed area appears to come apart more willing then before. Those audi bastards decided to join it together amout every 5-7mm) Using a butter knife and a flat screwdriver (i used the knife more then anything) keep prying on the two parts (also pushing on the glass from inside helps) just be careful not to crack the glass as its really easy to do. All you need is just the upper portion to come apart so you can get the big rings in. (You may come up with a batter more effective way to do this, and if so, props to you! But this is all i could figure out at the moment) Now another portion that was kicking my rear end for good 30min. getting those rings to snap in. All you can do on that is get as much of the ring to be seated in place and the portion that is bent out, just use your fingers to snap it in. 3 of my snapped in easy, the forth big one... well, it almost got thrown against the wall! After that is all said and done and couple smoke brakes in between, use some sort of glue that will not damage the glass (superglue dose, it puts a film on the glass that will not come off) glue it all together and you are good to go! Buy the way, if you brake anything in the process, I have nothing to do with it! All of this is, do it at your own risk!
Now, the more interesting part :-)
you got your instrument cluster sitting in front of you with the gauges facing upwards. remove the needles first, they pull straight up. Temp and fuel gauge have a cut out in them, so they will only go back on one way. tech and speedometer needles you will have to zero out when trying to put back in. So you got your needles off, now remove the 4 screws that hold the speedo and tech face plates. Attach the tech one on, then FLEX the speedo wiring tab (and i mean just flex, if you try to bend it, it will brake) to where the wires and the tab are not siting on top of the plastic as it will get pinched when you install the housing back on, while its flexed, put the screws in. Also think about how you are going to guide the wires out. I will show you in pictures how i did my, it may not be the best way to do it, but it works. All youll have to do is cut 2 small openings to lead the wires out of the cluster (one side for tech and temp, the other side for fuel and speedo)
k, i'm falling asleep here, so ill finish this up tomorrow...
the above post...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

x2
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

huh?
will finish up when i get a chance, I'm back to work so i dont have that much free time :-(
Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can use Instant Glue on the rings

There is a "hobby grade" CA (crazy glue) that is odorless and won't leave a film on the plastic. Is is available at most Hobby Stores.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

will give it a shot shortly, thank you!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

have any luck with this yet? I picked up a 95 audi 90q a few months ago that came up from the US. I would love to install new gauges in metric. I look forward to hearing how it works out.

Rice.

Quick Reply: new gauges instal... ppl are going to hate driving my car LOL