new heater core Andy auto climate control

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new heater core Andy auto climate control

hey guys, scratching my head....
1995 Audi 90 Quattro sport

last weekend dug in to replacing the heater core. All went to plan, sort of. Started reassembling and since I had serviced the flapper door motors, I wanted to make sure they were working correctly. Plugged in climate control module and it appears it’s dead.

The control was working fine before the job, The outer lights actually light up but the lcd lights do not - nor do any of the buttons work. Vcds-lite can’t talk to it either. I have a spare module and it doesn’t work either - so I am somewhat confident it’s not the control itself.

I have checked fuses 4 and 17. I’ve checked the 4 plug wiring harness as best I can with the dash in,

I am about to tear it all down again, but if someone has an “ah ha”, I’d love to hear it.

thanks,

andrew
Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Doesn't seem I can edit my own threads - should say "new heater core and automatic climate control" - spell check....
Old 02-01-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Andrew, my best guess would be you have a connection somewhere that is unplugged or a shorted servo motor. I do have the VCDS heavy version if that would help. I think the control head is not powering up completely..and a VCDS will not help.

I dont have the online Bentley subscription for an Audi 90..just the Cabriolet and in the USA the Cabs are not listed with Klimatronic. So the closest wiring diagram I have is the A6..and it shows the control head has 12v power at plugs C7 gray/green wire, D9 black/blue wire and C13 red/blue wire. Key on.

The wiring may be different for the 90..but easy enough to see if the wires are the same color codes and pin positions.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, I'll have to look at the harness plugs when I get a chance. I have the dash back out and I cannot find a disconnected plug.
When you say Servo motor - you mean the flapper motors? I did test each one using brown/white wires and a 9V battery (which is higher voltage, but each worked fine amazingly)

Just feels like a fuse, but the fuses for the klimatronic are shared with radio and interior lights (4) - work fine.

I'll see if I can find my copy of the wiring harness. I think I have CD from Bentley.

Making me crazy.

A
Old 02-03-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK, I printed out and have traced the wiring diagrams for the 1995 90. The wiring appears the same with the black/blue, grey/green, and the red blue.
red blue has power. But black/blue and grey/green are not energized. I have checked the fuses and they are good - though I replaced as precautionary.

what is strange is that the the grey/green is fed off of fuse 4, lights work and the lights in the climatrinic used to work but now don’t...new while I’ve been fooling with connectors and wiring. I have yet to trace the black blue all the way back to the fuse block....it will be lot of unraveling.

looking at the schematic of the fuse block - trying to understand where fuse 17 equates to plug on the back of the fuse block - does it go to A, G, or H.
using picture from https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...image-2856961/.
if I can fugure that out I can just check for continuity versus unraveling the whole loom. I guess I need it for fuse 4 and 14.

thanks, Andrew
Old 02-03-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Solved

doing traces and opened up the 3 pole plug to the right side of the heater box, next the red climatronic harness plugs.

Burned up inside - clipped and installed weatherproof male/female plugs. All better now. what a waste of 8 hours.