new starter smoked and died after 4 days

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new starter smoked and died after 4 days

a few months ago, I was driving home and my starter went. I felt a hesitation and smelled what I thought was antifreeze. I pulled into the driveway, shut it off and it didnt start back up. I checked the radiator, hoses, resevoir, etc - no leaks or steam. got back in, lights worked, radio worked - wouldn't start.

couple weeks later I had a starter put in and it started. But the ignition key was funny. I couldn't open windows because the key now went too far without coming back to on. It would stay on START. for the next few days after I started the car, the key would have to be turned back a little for other things to work.

Then, 4 days after the new starter was installed, Im sitting idle and all this steam/smoke comes up from the hood and smells again like antifreeze. I drop off my daughters and keep going. Nothing feels slow, no odd sounds, nothing. I'm thinking it's the starter again, but how, I just replaced it with a new Bosch 4 days ago. I stop to get some antifreeze just incase and shut it off (bad idea). It won't start again. No antifreeze leak anywhere.

So now the car is sitting in my driveway and I don't know if it's just the starter again. Could the ignition have burned out the starter in 4 days? Is it possible that the key not going back into the correct position kept it engaged?

so what do i do? take it to have the starter and ignition replaced? Is this something I can do myself? anyone have a manual or resource?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default got warranty?

hey, you got warranty? replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch and the starter at the same time!
should fix your problem...
Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you replaced your ignition switch replaced? All the symptoms you're describing point to...

...an ignition switch. A simple search easily would have revealed that......should have replaced the switch while doing the starter...it'll also clear up what you're describing with the windows not working right.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It happened to my car. Had it in at a body shop and I forgot to tell them about the sticky...

ignition switch. The owner of the shop had left my car idle for over an hour with the ignition switch in the start position. When I asked him "Why didn't you shut it off when you heard the horrible sound of the starter constantly running?" he responded "I get lots of cars in here that sound like crap, I thought it was just the motor.".

So, I'd recommend replacing your ignition switch (super easy) and take the hit on the starter and replace it again.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yep this has happened to me...twice...

Luckily my driveway and work parking were on hills so i could drift start until I could afford another starter lol. Then until I got around to replacing the iggy switch, I just made sure that I turned the key back just a hair after I started my car...Oh the starter makes such an awful noise if it doesnt disengage... The first time i heard it I thought that my alternater took a dump because the power surged in the car for a second and then came right back on...I parked the car that night thinking nothing of it...the next morning i finally realized what had happened...bah.