Noob Questions on 1994 90 CS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Questions on 1994 90 CS

Hey all, just picked up a FWD 1994 90 CS with the V6 and auto transmission. My first Audi, so I am learning the ins and out as I go. Got it for $1300 with AC out of commision, but other than that good shape, no rust or tears and only 130K miles, so lots of life left, hopefully. It has new brakes all around, and the last owner replaced the heater core (whew!) so I am good there.

Two quick questions that I have't been able to find good answers for using the search function:

1. Is it normal for the auto trans to give a clunk and an audible chirp when shifting from 3-4 around 40mph? Or should I be looking for parts? Or a failed mount? BTW only happens on that shift, not on any others.

2. Is is possible to fix the backlighting on the automatic climate control panel? during the day you can see the readout because of the reflectivity of the LCD, but at night you can't see anything. Not a huge deal, but the AC doesn't work, so setting it on auto is not very helpful.

Thanks for any help offered!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You should replace the filter and fluid in the

tranny and see if that helps.Automatics are at best weak links in these cars.I wouldn't be surprised if it's on it's way out.I had to replace the tranny in my 94 cabrio and it had only 115,000 miles.On the other hand my friend has an auto with 200K and never had any problems.
Here's a link to help you replace the bulbs in your climate control.

http://www.audiforum.ca/a4-b5-b6-b7-...4-climate.html

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
I hope you like your car as much as we like ours as they are great cars but you have to want to get your hands dirty.

Last edited by maineman; 07-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tranny fluid & filter, and replace EVERY soft vacuum line under the hood.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the help, guys. That link for the climate control looks like it should work perfectly, once I get some radio removal tools for the factory cassette/radio. Hmm...while it is out maybe I should just replace it!

In reference to the transmission, the code in the spare tire well is "CFS." Does this denote an early 01N transmission or is it some other model? Trying to find a vendor that has a kit with everything, similar to Blauparts cause they don't seem to offer one for the CFS.

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default That's strange as I got my kit from blau

You could call them and ask them or you can get what you need here........

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/90/Transmission

very good supplier and fast.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by maineman
That's strange as I got my kit from blau
All I could find was a clearance kit for the other codes. I found a link you posted in another thread for two kits, the one that is on clearance and the other, which is discontinued, so I bet that is the one I needed. Thanks, however, for the link to German Auto Parts. Their website is super easy to navigate and I have no questions as to what I need when there. They will be getting some business from me for sure.

Have been working on the vacuum hoses as well, there sure are lots of little inch long sections! The one that goes to the black ball at the front of the engine and one that comes off a Y at the top rear of the intake manifold were already off when I got the car, so I figured the rest can't be far behind.

Also, to those who have done the transmission fluid and filter change on their CFS tranny: I did not see a drain plug and fill plug like was shown on the instructions on Blauparts, so can I just assume that this one is similar to old American transmissions in that you drain the fluid by dropping the pan, making world's third biggest mess, and refill by adding through the dipstick tube? Seems logical, but thought I had better ask.

Thanks for hanging in there guys, I am hoping to be self-sufficient pretty soon.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, to those who have done the transmission fluid and filter change on their CFS tranny: I did not see a drain plug and fill plug like was shown on the instructions on Blauparts, so can I just assume that this one is similar to old American transmissions in that you drain the fluid by dropping the pan, making world's third biggest mess, and refill by adding through the dipstick tube? Seems logical, but thought I had better ask.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!!!
Been a while since I did it but I believe you'll have to remove the dipstick tube where it enters the pan.You should take off the little 10mm bolt that holds the upper dip stick tube so when you go to re install to the pan it will be easier to start the nut onto the pan.
I know I had a hard time with that .It requires patience which is not my strong suit.
good luck
Old 07-23-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kensei
Thanks for the help, guys. That link for the climate control looks like it should work perfectly, once I get some radio removal tools for the factory cassette/radio. Hmm...while it is out maybe I should just replace it!

In reference to the transmission, the code in the spare tire well is "CFS." Does this denote an early 01N transmission or is it some other model? Trying to find a vendor that has a kit with everything, similar to Blauparts cause they don't seem to offer one for the CFS.

Thanks again!
Kensei, I would be happy to have that Audi gamma CC radio Cassette player for my 95 90Q. Please let me know if your going to ditch it. Thanks Duane, Michigan
Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by duanevw
Kensei, I would be happy to have that Audi gamma CC radio Cassette player for my 95 90Q.
Hey Duane, I just got to looking around the web today to see what was involved in changing the radio to an aftermarket one, and decided that the Gamma CC will be just fine in there! I now see why people try to ****** up working ones so quickly. It is ironic that the radio is so easy to remove, yet apparently, wiring in a new one is a PITA.

The previous owner said he had new front speakers installed, but they sound horrible. Something is not right there, the head unit must be okay as the read speakers sound great. Add that to my search list.