Oil filters.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 11:19 AM
odj
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filters.....

I need a new oil filter for my '93 12v, and had remembered something miktip had <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/3407.phtml">reccomended</a> - a big *** VW diesel filter by Deutsch. Anyways, I decided to do a search on oil filters, and came across <a href="http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/">this study</a> about oil filters.

It really seems like a lot of his opinion, along with some good emperical data, but still mostly opinion. honestly, if this filter works for MikTip, it'll work for me.

So, anyways, I couldn't find the Deutsch D 534 online anywhere (and I work too damn much to go buy one at a store), so if someone has a link it'd be much appreciated.

hope this info is helpful to someone

Jackson
Old 06-12-2002, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Deutsch filters

Seems AutoZone has done away with Deutsch brand, and they are now STP brand!

Same filter &amp; manufacturer, Champion, just different colors(paint) on the STP filter

Also its a "S3569" vise a D534(Deutsch)

Sorry, odj, but your probably gonna have to goto the store for this one! ) Take a long lunch brake! ;o)
Old 06-12-2002, 12:53 PM
odj
AudiWorld Member

Default darnit...

yea it does look that way doesn't it. Which champion model fits? you mentioned "s3569" but i couldn't really follow.... is that what you meant?

Jackson
Old 06-12-2002, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Check it out! ;o)

All those filters in that study use a "paper element" as their filter media.

The paper is rated up so many microns, etc, etc.

If you change your oil at regular intervals, and dont Rally Race in the Arizona desert with no air filter, then your probably never going to clog one with dirt! ;o)

I buy my filters "locally". No need to "import" them when their all paper element! Their all within a few spec's of each other for performance, etc, etc.....!

Plus you &amp; I drive a "street car"!)

The VW Diesel filter offers a slight more "advantage" over the OE sized filter, by holding more oil, which is good for your thermal reserve, and the filter media(paper) is larger, so it filters more oil, longer.

For a number of years I bought my filters(locally) from the nearby AutoZone, who stocked
Deutsch brand. Deutsch brand were maded by Champion. AutoZone no longer carries Deutsch brand. Deutsch is now STP brand. Same exact filter as before, still made by Champion, but different name on the can! )

To date, none of my Audi's have ever suffered a single oil related breakdown. They all get Mobil 1 synthetic, and regular oil &amp; filter changes.

My 1986 Coupes, 136,000 mile engine actually still had the factory cross-hatch marks on the piston wall, when is disassembled it! ;o)

It ran on Deutsch filters for many years.

My 88 &amp; 93 both run STP filters.

Its your choice, but dont be too overly concerned.

Unless of course you Rally Race in the Arizona Desert, with no air filers! )
Old 06-12-2002, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One thing to think about...

The anti-drainback valve. I used to use Bosch filters from Autozone on my Vw Fox and then used them a few times on my cq when I got it. Then, I my dad showed my true "Audi" german Bosch filter. It was much heavier and had the valve. The valve keeps the dirty oil from draining back, and keeps the filter full. This helps reduce the wait for oil pressure to accumulate and reduce start-up wear. The OEM filter feels much more well made. I will check out the Mobil 1 filters next time I go to the auto store and see if they look well made (i have never used one)
Old 06-12-2002, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: One thing to think about...

The filters I use(Deutsch &amp; STP &amp; Champion) all have the anti-drain-back valve! ;o)

"The OEM filter feels much more well made"????

What counts is on the inside! The filter media!

Cut open your brand of filter to really see what its all about!

Their all made of steel, &amp; rated to 500 psi.

Your high pressure relief valve on your oil pump, opens at 175psi.;o)

Lots of conjecture &amp; speculation about oil filters too!

Way too much for to really worry about! ;o)

Change what ever brand you use at regular intervals.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:52 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: One thing to think about...

Howdy! I always use the Mann/Mahle or Audi/VW personally. The Mann filters can be purchase is bulk for pretty cheaply, Double Z or TPC can get you some good deals on 10 packs. I still have the superstition of using what the manufacturer recommends, though I bet other filter brands are just fine, do as your heart desires in this case, but change the filter regularly, change the oil regularly (I use Mobil 1 for 9k miles but change filters every 3k miles).

Take care of your Audis and they will last a very long time, these blocks are suprisingly resilient. The 70k miles 4 cylinder I built up still had factory hone marks that were easily felt with a finger nail, very impressive considering I drove the **** out of the engine for 60k miles. I've heard of 225k miles 5 cylinder N/A engines with factory hone marks, the turbo engine don't seem to fair as well, but still in comparison to other engines I have seen it's still way above par.

Good Luck to All!
Old 06-12-2002, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: Cut open one of you Mahle/Mann filters! Then you'll see their all the same!

It has the "identical" paper inside as my brand of filter! ;o)

Why pay more $$$ when you dont have 2! )
Old 06-12-2002, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

my 90Q at 170k still had the marks, not much though.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default how about this?

bypass filter.<ul><li><a href="http://www.go-synthetic.com/By-pass/by-pass.htm">http://www.go-synthetic.com/By-pass/by-pass.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Oil filters.....