Over heard at a P*P Boys between counterman and a guy who owned a Benz...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heard at a P*P Boys between counterman and a guy who owned a Benz...

Customer> You told me I could use this "Stop Leak" **** in my
power steering system THAT DOES not use normal PS
fluid but this mineral fluid I showed you called
PENTOSIN!!! Now it's leaking worse than ever before
and I think my pump is making strange noises!!!

Counterman> Sir I said it might stop the leak. I did tell you that it
was a chance you needed to decide to take. I did not
tell you it would help. Yes it says it is safe for systems
using mineral fluid but I did not encourage you to use
it. I told you it would be best that you call the
company first. You were desperate and wanted a quick
fix. I am sorry.

Customer> I'm gonna sue this outfit! You ruined my car!

Counterman> Do what you want to do sir.

Somebody had a bad weekend.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 AM

Silly Benz people. Should have bought an Audi. LOL
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No way...then he would ruined the Audi! lol
Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hey hey, I used to be a benz guy, you mean "Silly people" in general (64 220S Fintail Sunroof)
Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not necessarily. My son 4 years ago, against my advice used BG Power Steering Conditioner...

because he had a very slight leak that left 4-5 drops of Pentosin in his driveway every night out of his '94 90S. We diagnosed the leak as coming from the hydraulic steering rod exiting the rack housing under the rubber boot. But being it was winter and only a slight leak that required little more than a once-monthly topping off of about 2-3ozs of Pentosin I wanted to put him off a few months til warmer weather and we could more comfortably replace the rack or have it rebuilt. However, in the interim he talked with someone that told him to try the BG product and he poured a 1/2 pint into the reservoir without asking me and didn't tell me for a few days. I had a hissy-fit with him when I found out and after reading about it online. Told him the stuff was a "conditioner" and NOT a "stop-leak" product and not designed to be used with Pentosin tho it specifically says it is compatible with and can be used with "all" PS fluids including mineral & synthetics. The product description does say it can prevent leaks from occuring due to conditioning the seals but NOTHING about being used to stop leaks that are already present. Then he says; "but dad, the leak has stopped!"

To my utter surprise he was right even tho I couldn't personally confirm it til the next time he was over and we pulled the steering boot off the housing and slid it out of the way. Drops were no longer forming on the bottom side of the rack housing where the rod exits it. And it has never leaked again! He later sold the car to a friend and to this day the rack has not leaked and no other issues have developed whatsoever! I'm NOT endorsing this product, don't subscribe to "repairs-in-a-can" for ANYTHING! But I also know if I developed a "minor" PS leak today that was originating from an o-ring rather than a hose body, hose crimp-on component, banjo connection or crush washer seal I'd have no issues/problems at all pouring in a half-pint if for no other reason than attempt to buy me some time while I procure all new hydraulic components required to rebuild the entire system rather than "just" source a new or rebuilt rack. I can argue, find fault with almost anything however "success" is not among them. And no one was more surprised than me about my sons's immediate & long-term success with the BG product. And nary a month goes by that he doesn't remind me of that incident!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You forgot the part where the counter-guy yells "NEXT!" 8^)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Uh sure....*hides the tar and feathers* Ahwell atleast it's german. :P