overheating issues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating issues!

I recently changed my thermostat. I also put in some coolant in the radiator though, after reading afew posts on the search archives. i have realised that i might have done something wrong with the coolant mixing. I was in traffic on my way to class and my car started gradually overheating.i quickly parked my car then went to class.
After class, I started my car. warmed up pretty fast. tried the heat, cold air at full blast hile engine is getting hotter, noticing that the fan was not coming on.Rushed home to get ready for work had no time to assess car. got to work after speeding, opened the hood looked at the radiator reservior, was unable to see any coolant. opened cap and fizzzled (depressurizing) then coolant appeared at the bottom.I will check it out at break. when i replaced the thermostat I only put half a gallon of the coolant then threw in some water. what have i done wrong? or what might be the problem?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:48 AM

Default You might have an air bubble stuck in the sytem blocking the coolant from flowing properly?

does it heat up really fast like within minuts it just keeps heating up and up. If so you will have to drain it and refill it inless you can find someone with the proper tools to suck out the air. Good Luck hopfully thats all the proplem is.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah! it heats up fast as hell........

I just got back from break and checked the level of coolant. i was empty so i added some more and will top it off with water.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Its probably an air bubble then, I think if you car has a radiotor cap then this is an idea

take the cap off of the radiator and start the car so that the watter circulates threw the system this way, its worth a try, you might have to add watter to it at the same time.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Its probably an air bubble then, I think if you car has a radiotor cap then this is an idea

ok i will give it a try! i will let you know what happens later today.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Cool, I only mentioned this because I just seen it happen on a rebuilt chevy roadster engine at the

shop. Fortunately they had a sucking devices that allowed them to remove the bubble very easily. This also happened on a car I had in the past and my step dad showed me how to remove it by removing the rad cap. Good luck : )
Old 01-21-2004, 11:32 AM

bleeder **** on heater hose at the firewall
Old 01-21-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: bleeder **** on heater hose at the firewall

I HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE IN MY WIFES CAR YOU NEED TO push the air out. jack up the car on the side that you fill the system up by. then put a water hose it the radiator hose and push water thought till it come out or the filler cap area. make sure the filler cap is off. I did this a few time and now it is good
Old 01-21-2004, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: bleeder **** on heater hose at the firewall

pushing water is done by? squeezing hose or starting car?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OMG!

How much of a retard can i be.. I never realized that i needed special coolant. i used regular coolant (what a dumb ***. i hope my radiator is not messed up. i have just added in the blue coolant. will try that as soon as my lunch break arrives. aaaah! idiota!

Quick Reply: overheating issues!