Power Steering Pump Interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Interchangeability

Alright, to recap my problems I've posted in other threads, I bought a power steering pump for my 1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V from a fellow helpful Audi guy, but it is the wrong pump for my car. There are three ZF pumps involved which will be referred to as original pump, correct pump, and replacement pump.

The original pump could also be called the wrong one. I have no idea why it was on the car when I bought it. It was putting out the wrong pressure, but does appear to hook up right. Anyway, the serial number for this pump is 7681 955 103 and is dated 12-83. The correct pump (which is neither the one I had nor currently have) is 054 145 165 and is for late '90 and all '91 cars. The replacement pump is 034 145 165, which is for early '90 cars. The date on that pump is 12-89.

So, the pump that came with my car when I bought it a couple years ago is not the right pump at all and wasn't doing an acceptable job of supplying the correct pressure to the hydraulic pressure accumulator and steering rack. The pump I have to replace it is for an earlier car.

I'm really not sure what the difference is between the earlier 034 pump and the later 054 pump other than the farthest forward banjo bolt on the top of the pump when mounted does not fit the 034 pump. So right now I am looking for either the correct banjo bolt for the earlier pump, which I'm not sure will fit through the hose fitting since it's a wider bolt, or I would be interested in purchasing a well-functioning 054 pump off someone who owns one.

Can anyone out there supply me with either the bolt or the pump? Or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Does your pump to bomb hose have o-rings or does it use crush washers?
There are only really 2 different pumps for the 20v one uses crush washers on the pump to bomb hose this would be the early build pump. The late build pump uses o-rings for the pump to bomb hose. The threads for the banjo bolt are different sizes on these two pumps so you can't simply swap bolts. You would need the hose and the bomb to match the pump.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The hose to the bomb fits the earlier pump that I have. I need the later pump though, because the bolt that doesn't fit is the one on top that goes to the power steering rack, not the bomb. I believe I have o-rings on all three hoses, but I'd have to go out and check if that's crucial.

EDIT:

Also, I know there are only two correct pumps for 20Vs, but somehow a third one got into the mix. It's not correct for any 20V, but it was on my 20V when I bought it. The other two correct ones are the 034 and 054. I have an 034 right now, but the top front banjo bolt going to the steering rack doesn't fit it. I need the 054 pump, which is correct for '91 cars like mine. Somehow the wrong pump from '83 fit the same bolts and fittings as the later 054 pump.

Last edited by NinetyQ; 02-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Posting some pics of your hose ends and connections would help. I've never seen a 20v with o-rings on the suction or pump to rack lines. Just on late build pump to bomb hoses.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yodasfro
Posting some pics of your hose ends and connections would help. I've never seen a 20v with o-rings on the suction or pump to rack lines. Just on late build pump to bomb hoses.
Which info are you trying to determine by this? I'm not with the car right now and won't be again for a couple weeks. I wasn't certain that all lines had o-rings, but I know the top front-most banjo bolt connection does (which goes to the rack). The 034 pump hooks up just fine to the connections on my car other than the one I just described. I assume all three connections will hook up fine to the 054 pump.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The front most hose doesn't go to the rack it goes to the bomb and is the only hose that uses o-rings on a late build. You bought an early pump described as a late pump now you need a late pump.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh man, you're right! Sorry, I think someone told me a while back that it was a return line from the rack, but now it all makes sense. I just thought the other info was right because that line goes back very close to the rack, but not to it. Thanks for the correction!

And yeah, we're on the same page that I need the later pump. Might make another thread advertising my two apparently functioning pumps and asking for the later one.

Do you, or anybody else reading this, know anyone with the pump I need?