Radiator fan not working - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, and the correction.

Yodasfro,

So it turned out to be the fan motor. But not before the entire system passed all the electrical checks. I yanked the fan, put it in the bench vice and it worked. OK. SO there must be a loose wire. Replaced the fan, checked the wire and grounds. Nothing. Grrr. So I pulled the wires off the back of the motor and put a direct ground and a direct battery to it. Nothing. Grrr, but at least I know the motor is gone. Vice test must have been random. When I pulled it the second time I could not get so much as a peep out of it with a battery and wires.

So. Some wisdom says get the VW 6 blade which is said to be louder but pushes more air than the stock Audi replacement. Comments? I've got to order this soon - thanks!! And thanks for the link to the tests - worked perfectly.

DougM
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, update and this is a good one. Figuring it would be a while before I got a reply I started looking around the web for a fan assembly. Wow - big money for aftermarket versions. $250 and up. Started looking around for used ones off the Passat which some research told me is where the 6 bladed VW version is. An hour later I'm kinda frustrated that the salvage parts sites are poor as to specifics (pictures, etc).

Then I quite randomly remembered that the guy I bought the car from last month mentioned he had bought a new blower motor, but it turned out to be just a fuse. He left it in the trunk. I'd assumed it was that - a dash blower motor but thought "hmm, I should check - what are the odds?" So I walked out to the garage in my stocking feet just to check. Wow - heavy box, where is my razor knife...

Just ran up here laughing to myself. It's a brand new Audi radiator motor/fan assembly!!! With the local dealership receipt from 2011 for a whopping $389! He even got a new connector, and the tiny little rubber plugs that go in the wires as they enter the connector to seal them, which is why the bill was so high. Well, that and walking into an Audi dealership at full retail.

Anyhow - problem solved. And the Quattro giveth this time.