Radio keeps cutting out. Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio keeps cutting out. Plz help

A while ago my original 1994 Cabriolet Audi gamma radio kept cutting out after a certain amount of volume. So I got lucky and Santa came early so I got a new head unit and some new speakers since my original ones were dried out. I replaced my whole system about a month ago during a free weekend. Now Im having similar issues. My new head unit turns off when I bump up the volume or hook up my mp3 into the USB connector. I used the original wiring for the rear speakers just by tracing them and the front have new wires. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I think its a faulty head unit, but Im not so sure.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does the radio power off itself or the volume cuts of when turned too high? In first case I would say that you're right, it may be a faulty radio. In second case it looks like you have a shortage in one of your speakers/wirings. It shots off the amp to prevent it from breaking. Also rear speakers have their own amps on each of them, and this can be a problem as well so I would have swapped them for something else instead of using them. In my opinion it's better to change all speakers to something better that matches your HU/amp characteristics, if you want your system to give you a good sound. Also if you need more bass, you can remove the original powered sub and install something better as well. I installed 8" boston acoustics pushed by kicker mono amp, and oh boy it gives me a very powerfull bass now.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiRacer94
A while ago my original 1994 Cabriolet Audi gamma radio kept cutting out after a certain amount of volume. So I got lucky and Santa came early so I got a new head unit and some new speakers since my original ones were dried out. I replaced my whole system about a month ago during a free weekend. Now Im having similar issues. My new head unit turns off when I bump up the volume or hook up my mp3 into the USB connector. I used the original wiring for the rear speakers just by tracing them and the front have new wires. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I think its a faulty head unit, but Im not so sure.
Hello again Audiracer94, I wouldn't think its your brand new stereo head unit, more likely wiring from behind unitnfor the amps in the rear doors causung the problem. I owned a 400cs Quattro with the stock head unit amd it wouldn't play at correct volume until it wrmed up(some may say that's a cap problem, but I read posts where the rear side door had that speaker amp setup and that seemed to be the culprit as it would cause you to looses volume at anytime, static, then back to normal until there was a bump in the rd. That sounds like the issue I had on my 1988 4000CSQ, and it would play when it would want to.

PS I sent u a reply in your PM box. Duane, MI