Radio question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio question....

"Places like Crutchfield probably have the correct adapter to match an aftermarket head unit with the stock wiring harness. Some people like to have a switched power lead to the head unit rather than constant power. To achieve this, you can tap the ignition lead that will provide power when the key is turned on and will continue to supply power until the key is completely removed from the ignition lock cylinder. The easiest place to connect to this power is at the seatbelt warning control unit on the auxiliary relay panel in the driver's footwell. There should be a red wire going into terminal 85 on that control unit (relay position #2, second from left on middle row). Just tap the wire for your head unit's power into this line."

Got this from 20v.org...can someone show me where this panel is? I cant find it under the dash...
Old 09-30-2006, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Take off the panel under the steering wheel, the relay panel is behind there.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OK cool....ahhh....HOW?

When i tried to get it off...i broke a piece off....you do mean that plastic panel athats above your feet right? not the molding right below the steering wheel?

Ironically...as i was down there...when i start the car one of the relays under there is going nuts....clicking back and forth....but i cant get the panel off to see which relay it is...LOL
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depending on what car you have (you didn't say)....

you will either have a shelf (early build) or a padded knee protector (late build) below the steering wheel. That is the panel that needs to come off. You do not need to take the black cowling off of the steering column.

To get the shelf off just pull all the screws out, to get the knee pad off first pry out the two round covers with a small screwdriver and then pull all the screws out. Either way you won't be able to fully pull the panel out because the diagnostic connectors are wired to it, but you can just lay it in the footwell and work above it.

There is a load-reduction relay that engages when you turn the key to the "start" position, that may be what you're hearing.

Not to sound like a dick but if you are having problems with this you should think carefully before messing with the wiring down there, you might end up burning something.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default HA youre right..sorry...its a '90 CQ..

You dont sound like a dick...precaution is a good thing.

Perhaps i phrased myself wrongly...i dont mess with anything that i dont know what it is. Im a firm believer in doing my homework before messing with anything wiring wise or mechanical.

I was out today installing the car stereo i hd put aside for this car. All in all, the install went fine after finding the ways to run the wire under the door jam floor panels. Man what a pain...=P

The reason im asking about the relay, is because i jsut noticed it starting to click today. Id like to get in there, feel which relay is the culprit and replace it. The relay only clicks when the car is running. Not with just the key ON.

Everyday a new "issue" is surfacing with this car and im just trying to methodically solve each issue one by one. My lack of a bentley manual right now is making me resort entirely to forum questions...hence why ive been around here so often...=D

Thanks a lot for your help...i figured those black round hole covers came off the padded panel, but they were really in there, so i didnt wanna break anything till i got confirmation. Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

YGM...