Random "brake" light coming on in my dash & sluggish acceleration....Any Ideas? TIA!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random "brake" light coming on in my dash & sluggish acceleration....Any Ideas? TIA!

I know it's not the hand brake light because a different light "parking brake" comes on. It comes on and off. If I tap the brake sometimes it will turn off. When I shift from a gear to neutral it will turn on. It's never really ALWAYS on either. Majority of the time if I shift or I am in gear it will go off. It really only comes on when driving in the city at slow speeds from 0-20 mph. Really cannot pin point it down to what the hell is causing it.

Any one ever have this happen before?

Also on a side note, the car is feeling a little sluggish at its peak RPMs, my guess is it's driving like it has some bad fuel injectors...just once it warms up from 4-6 thousand rpm is almost feels like it is holding back.... Maybe time for the 034 injector upgrade. I have already run two full tanks of premium fuel with fuel cleaner and one tank with premium fuel and an octane booster. I will be changing the fuel filter along with the injector upgrade...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ABS light for my car comes on due to the ABS ring breaking off the axle

It doesn't effect the braking at all, but the computer just thinks the brakes aren't working because the ring came off. Might be the same problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He said brake light, not ABS. Two differant things.

You're either low on P/S fluid, brake fluid or the bomb is going out. My guess is the bomb.

Mine has the same thing. The brakes will be hard for a minute until the pressure works back up in the bomb. The check valve is dead so it needs to recharge. I just unlpugged the pressure switch by the firewall. The plan is to go to vacuum assisted brakes and dumb the bomb and lines. I'll be getting the parts from a B4 90.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM

Is it the autocheck light or a dash light?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had the same problem. My Pentosin was low even though it looked

okay when I pulled the cap off. I flushed the fluid because it was due, refilled, made sure that the arm for the float was in the notch on the bottom of the cap and my brake light hasnt blinked at me since.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My guess is the bomb too.

The previous owner intentionally removed the light bulb and broke it, then put it back into place. So when we was selling the car it wouldn't come on.

I know there is a replacement part, just can't remember what it was called. Where should I pick up the replacement part? (to get rid of the bomb)
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dash light.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Most likely replace the bomb, do a full brake fluid flush, new pads, calipers, & rotors
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Default It looks like you have come to the "bomb" conclusion. My light would flicker too. The "tear-a-part"

where I met you has an 80 with a vac booster - perfect for a "drop the bomb" swap. At least it did when I was there a month ago. I'm just finishing up my swap. Bleed the brakes and I'm done.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So literally it is just a swap out of the bomb and put in the booster?

Quick Reply: Random "brake" light coming on in my dash & sluggish acceleration....Any Ideas? TIA!