real time help - 1990 model 90 radio connection diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real time help - 1990 model 90 radio connection diagram?

So I have been searching for the diagram that tells me what each wire on the back of the factory radio (non CD changer) are on my 1990 20V sedan. No joy. Anyone? I've got it hanging out of the dash, speakers partly out, new radio stuff all over and I am stumped. Just need to know what wires go where so I can make my harness for the new head unit. I will be laboriously tracing until I find a diagram... THanks!

DougM
Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

What model is the radio you are taking out? Do you have Aktiv (self amplified) speakers?

Here is a site that has a few different Audi radios with wiring breakout.

http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-rad...-Connector.htm
Old 10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - yeah the rears had amps on them. They are gone and replaced with aftermarket speakers as are the fronts. Now I have new speakers and a new head unit and all I'm using are the wires to the speakers. I've muddled my way through by laboriously testing each wire.

However, now the sound quality is not quite right because I have a bit of a static-like sound in the output of all 4 speakers. Gets worse when I turn up the volume. Does it both on CD and on my iPhone connected to the head unit via USB cable. Not sure what it is - still rechecking connections but thought i'd check in here. Will check the links in case something weird is still going on like the front speakers also had little amps or something along the wires. Which would mean I'm sending the front speakers amplified output through an amp or similar.

DougM
Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rechecked connections and turned out to be something funky with the common ground harness for the rear speakers I got from Crutchfield. So I ran my own wires on the off chance there was something amiss and it sounds great.

Down to one problem. The factory Audi antenna is a dual antenna setup, so two coax attachments - one from each antenna. The rear antenna handles both am/fm while the front antenna handles only fm. So I'm going to use just the rear antenna and cross my fingers that it will be good enough reception. The problem is that both coax cables from the Audi antennas are these proprietary short 90 degree things that won't penetrate far enough into my new Pioneer head unit to connect. How have others handled this?

Should I cut off the connector and install a conventional coax male connecter? Better yet is there a possibility of a T that would connect both Audi antennas to one coax male connector? I'm guessing not as the Pioneer would have to have the ability to process that signal and it may not. On the other hand, the Pioneer may not even be able to process the signal if I modified ONE connector, eh?

So the third and least desirable option is to purchase a rubber whip antenna and sadly bolt it onto the pristine body of my 20V.

What say the herd?

DougM
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don'cha love it when someone answers their own question? So, turns out Crutchfield knowledgeably put an adapter in my box for free when I ordered the install kit. It helps, but doesn't connect both cables obviously. So either antenna cable gets me nice FM but neither gets me any AM whatsoever. Which is one of the reasons I wanted a new head unit (groan) and means all along it was the rear antenna circuit that is broken. I did all the tests of it with my multimeter and it passed, so I don't know what the deal there is. But it's not worth chasing as those bits sell at Audi for $100.

So I'm going to put an antenna on the car. Cripes, why does this crap always happen to me? I could order a landscaping rock and they'd drop and break it. A bowling ball and it would be missing a finger hole....

So, anyone have feedback on the units that hang inside the window glass? There is no place to put a rubber one and I'm simply not going to drill a hole in this car.

DougM
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update that I discovered the new stereo doesn't power the antennas by pulling the rear trim (again) and verifying it was working before messing with the antenna. Nope - no power. So lesson for those following me someday with a B3 Audi with either amplified antenna, or dual diversity amplified antennas that you'll have to use the new stereo's "antenna" power out cord to power the antenna(s). On my Pioneer this is a blue wire. Second lesson if it's a dual diversity is to use the REAR antenna (black fitting on my 90 - front ant is white fitting) as that's where AM/FM receives, and an ordinary coax adapter to lengthen it so it will fit all the way in. You'll have to choose either the front or rear antenna as new head units only have one coax input.

So, I am getting AM/FM reception now. Unknown if its good or bad until I get the rest of the interior put back in and drive it for a few days. And thanks to 20V.net for the tip to use terminal 85 on the seatbelt warning relay as switched power. Easy access, and now when I get out of the Audi I don't have to wonder if I left the stereo on - it's shut down with the key out. Leave the key in, and even though it's off you can listen to the stereo. Great idea.

Third lesson is I'd like to punch the engineer who designed the panel in the driver's footwell that allows access to the dash. The screw clips slide all over the place and it takes several attempts of fine tuning them with a skinny screwdriver to get the screws started loosely in all 4 holes. Then, and only then (20 minutes later) can you tighten them all up. Nightmare, especially since this panel is a common access for bulbs, fuses, relay checks, etc....

So tomorrow I solder the connections (just twisted together to verify), and put the interior back together (rear seat and package tray out).

DougM