Replacing tie rod assemblies on B3 - need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing tie rod assemblies on B3 - need some help...

First, how do I get the tie rod assembly off the strut housing? Last time I just took the 16mm nut off, and took a sledge to it and hammered down and it popped off with some PB blaster. No luck this time, it's not budging. I have completely destroyed the threads on the TRE by banging down on it with the sledge so lets say I'm pretty committed to this job now. How do I get this thing off? People have said pickle fork, but I don't know what that is or how to use it. Do I need to remove the strut cap nut or the rotors or anything? Right now, I just pulled the wheel off and haven't touched anything else. I figured I could just leave everything else alone since I am just replace the TR assemblies.

Secondly, how do I disconnect the inner part of the tie rod assembly? I don't see any way to access that!

Thirdly, when re-installing the new assemblies, what are the torque specs?

Fourthly, the new assemblies (febi-bilstein) came to me loose. I screwed one part in, and that made the other part screw out. How do I get these things to stay together? I've never done this job before, so I'm not sure how tie rods are supposed to work or how I am supposed to put them together.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Pitman arm puller from your local flaps.

To get to the inner tie-rod carrier remove the battery and the removal tray under the battery. Remove the nuts on the bottom then the bolts that threads through the end of the rack. The car needs to be on the ground when tightening the bolts 35 ft lb's. for the nuts on the tie rod carrier 22 ft lb's. for the nut on tie-rod end.<ul><li><a href="http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/pitman_arm.htm">http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/pitman_arm.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on my B4,,,,,,

before I had a puller...
I would put heat to the steering arm around the tie rod end "post" and THEN hit the post with a hammer, well not the post...a piece of something soft like wood between the post and the hammer...would pop right out.

Now that I have a 3 arm puller...
I put the puller on..put some tension on it..THEN I heat the steering arm with a torch (only propane) and when it gets hot enough the tie rod end pops right out.