retro audi 80 sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retro audi 80 sport

hello all this is my first post as im new to audis.this being my first one.
ive had loads of bmws,and mercs.i bought this audi as a stop gap .
while my mercedes 190e was out of action.and to be honest.i like the car so much.ive decided to keep it.its a 2.0 sport manual.here it is.

being a complete noob.i have a few qwestions im hoping you guys can help arnser.

1,the car has a loud rumberling noise.which the last owner said is the spax shocks.which have gone.would front shocks cause this noise?.

2.i have a "zero g" front bumper for it.but i think it masy be for the newer shape 80.(with the grill in the bonnet)
will this fit??.

3.whats the model name for this car(...e.g. a mercedes 190e is a w201.)

thanks in advance guys.rickie.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's officially called an "80"...

As you have written, an 80 sport. Very nice, probaly rare? What year is it?!

1.) It has the famous terminal rumberling(?) so you could inspect the front suspension if you also sense that the noise(?) is coming from that direction. Is there vibration?

As dampers are usually silent until they are leaked dry and self-destructing, this issue could be many things, here's a few:
- the top-mounts for the struts;
- the mounting of the dampers in the struts;
- the sway bar links or
- the springs on their perches.

All the above are well-known issues. There are lots more, however can you better define "rumberling" and when it occurs?

2.) Yes, I think it will fit. I would have loved to be able to say it will never work and as I have the requisite pig-snout hood, and it is completely worthless to you, you should sell it to me; cheap. So perhaps I am wrong?

Last edited by Lago Blue; 10-25-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the name for your module is audi 80 B3
(from the bonet I understand its in between years 1988 and 1991 right?)

the newer type audi 80 (with the grill in the bonet) is 80 B4 , and as much as I know B3 and B4 bumpers should fit excatly the same, but its just theoreticly, I havnt tryed it.

sorry, cant help with the noise problem until I have heard the sound myself..
Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thankyou for your replys guys.apon closer inspection it does indded appaer to be the shocks xcausing the rumberling noise as i can see they have completely leaked all of there oil out.
the bumper wich i have also had a closer look at ,and researched online aappears to be a audi s2 bumper.wixh i have put up for sale in the for sale section..offers invited :]]
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi 80 Cabrio rear window problem

My new and VERY much loved audi 80 1996 cabrio's rear window has decided to become un-stiched OUCH. The screen it's self is in ok condition, no cracks etc. Does any one know of a repair shop/guy in cambridgeshire??? HELP )
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The B3 and B4 bumpers are not directly interchangable.
The B4 (1993 - 1995 Audi 80 and 90s) Audi's had the wheels moved slightly forward, and thus the wheel arch moved forward. The wheel arch is defined by the fender and the bumper, so both of those are different from a B3 (1988 - 1992 Audi 80 and 90s).
In addition the hood is interchangable, and will work; but the setup will not be quite correct unless you also swap the 3 pieces composing 'cross braces' or in other words the parts that hold the left and right headlight in place, and the middle part that has the hood safety catch.
Last but not least, if you do swap to a B4 hood your stock headlights will be very slightly obscured by the 'grill' area of the hood. -That is not to say it will affect the light output, but it will be obvious upon close inspection that the fit is not quite right.

If you wanted to make it all fit, and look factory you need:
* B4 fenders
* B4 hood, including hood safety latch
* Left, mid, center B4 cross pieces (latch carriers as they are often described)
* B4 Ball joints
* B4 control arms (if you have stock 2 bolt control arms (B4's are 3 bolt))
* Bumper
* Headlights
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wheelbase change, B3 to B4...

Very interesting 90/90Qs, I had thought the rear axle was moved rearwards alone, perhaps this is incorrect, or were they both moved apart?

I had read of the wheelbase change (from B3 99.9" to B4 102.8), and seen a B3 being converted to forged rear A-arms and the requisite ball-joint swap requiring fender arch material added ahead of the rear wheel (not that the B3 rear wheel is centered in the arch to begin with!), perhaps that (and I thought the front suspension to be near identical) is why I only considered the rear axle.

Is the front caster then different between the B3's and B4's; or is the placement of the strut top=mount in the inner fender also different?