Roof wont come down

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof wont come down

hi
hope any of you guys can help i have an audi 80 cabriolet with a manual soft top. the top is locked shut and wont come down also i can open and lock the car from the boot but can only lock front doors from car and the boot will stay unlocked.
i have re wired a bad wire in the rear by boot hinges but still no joy
any help would be great cheers.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

When you pull up on the emergency brake lever, does the indicator on the dash illuminate?

There is a safety catch in the windshield that will only release the roof latch when the switch in the emergency brake is flipped.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

here's a different solution, too.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...p+won%27t+open
Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have a problem with my 98 Cabriolet roof. The top worked fine when I bought it a month ago. But just yesterday it stopped and I couldn't open it. When I pull the switch to open the top, the back of the top will lift up as normal, and the lid will lift about 2 inches and stop openning. No further movement, just the motor can be heard running as trying to open it up. If I open the top manually, and try to close it, the lid will lift about 2 inches as well as while openning it and stop again. My friend has a VAG reader and it showed 00271 error. The fluid was also below the low level, but adding it didn't solve the problem. Anyone who had the same problem and got it solved please help! I searched lots of forums and found some old discussions with similar problem, but not the righ soluthion. Thanks in advance to everyone.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi was wondering how to reset ecu as the roof warning light flickered and went off which may be due to dodgy wire whitch i have now fixed and ecu may still think roofs not allowed to open. also the windows switch in the center console does not work
will look at handbrake light too.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

00271 is a microswitch fault.

Problem comes from the RIGHT CABLE HARNESS on your Luggage Door. Needs to be replaced.

Very common problem.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

The flashing top light at car start-up is temporary, and will only happen until the tenth CORRECT opening and closing of the top has completed.

To relieve stress on the top and pump, I always lift the top about six inches when I open it, and catch it in my hand six inches before it closes.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

soldered up harness and no joy do you know how to reset ecu
Old 04-23-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default good info here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://audifans.net/forum-45.html
Old 04-23-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have two different problems here. Danceman has a manual top. Lord-of-the Rings has the typical hydraulic/locking/wiring stuff and Loudgoldwing has that covered. There are differences from the hydraulic top. Dance, look for a key slot in the window bow. Flip dowwn the shades. There may be an emergency release switch there. You probably still have not fixed the wiring, and you may have a central locking problem, but I'm betting on the wiring. I don't believe the ECU is a factor here. There is a service bulletin that says a low battery will cause the release handle to be inop unless the engine is running. There is a wiring diagram for a 1997 manual top in Bentleys. What year is yours? Great article, Maineman. I've got to get into these block values and learn about them.

Quick Reply: Roof wont come down