Roof wont come down

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi mines a 1994 and i cant get a manual for it im in the uk and we have haynes manuals is bentleys an american manual if so could you give a link to a manual that i can buy cheers
i could not find any key slot or emergency switch.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

The manuals says its there but checking my '95 Cab, it wasn't. Probably a later model improvement. This is the website for the manual but I caution you that the wiring diagrams specify USA/Canada models. They probably are predominately the same, taking into account the left hand drive issue. Also, some Cab's in the UK are 1.8T, but I believe that is after 1998.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Still no luck. Couldn't find any of brocken wires.
My 1998 Cab has the emergency slot though, used it once.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lord-O-T-R, those wires can be broken internally and the insulation still looks intact. I've posted a slew of PDF's describing the sequence and what has to work for the top to open. Most likely the microswitch is the F206 Trunk Lid Closed Position Switch. Look for the White/yellow stripe wire coming off the switch connecting to the gray/white strip wire at a connector. Key lock your trunk and try the top again. If it works, that wire is OK. What troubles me in your case is that you hear the motor. You could have a sticky or bad solenoid valve. Get your friend with the VAG-Com to follow the Bentleys procedure and do a thorough check of the system. The test allows you to check everything. Did you use the Vag-com port beneath the back seat ashtray? One is suppossed to be there on your car. (Not mine, unfortunately). Let us know. PM me and I'll print it and send it to you.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We used the port that is under the dash on left of the steering wheel. Is there another port beneath the back seat ashtray?

The motor sound bothers me too. It seems like the wires are good but the problem with the motor or solenoids, which is not good. We added the fluid to system, because it was below the level, but as I heard there can be air in the system. Will it help to try to open it up 5-7 times as some guys recommended. I was affraid that it can damage the system, but do you think that it can help though?

When the roof stays vertically and the lid unlocks and opens up a little bit (about 2"), motor can be heard as trying to open the lid up but nothing happens. When we try to "help" it and open it manually while pulling up the switch to "open", the roof doesn't want to continue folding into its place even while the motor still running and lid's open. And the lid doesn't stay opened but will close itself if you let it.

Will try to give it a test with VAG when my friend has time. When and where did you posted .pdf files with step by step open/close process of the roof?

Thanks everyone for your responses in advance. I hope we'll find where the problem is hidden.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got your PM. That back seat ashtray connector is for a '96. Sorry.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default broken wires

You have to take the wire harness apart to see if the wires are broken.
If you just look at the wire harness in your trunk then you will not see any broken wires until you open up the harness.
good luck
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. First, thanks everybody for your help. I finally got the roof working. The reason was the most stupid/easiest you can think of, but the way we made to find it was very long one. Second, please forgive me my English and my mistakes in advance, as English is not my first language. I hope you'll understand what i'm describing here.

So let the story begin. First we changed the bulb for the roof indicator in a cluster, because before it didn't work at all. Then we moved to the back of the car. After checking all the wires in roof compartment we didn't find anything wrong so we moved to trunk area. Here after opening and closing the trunk lid for a few times I heard a sound of a central lock system openning and locking itself. I started touching the wires on left and right sides of the trunk lid and found that I hear a central lock opening/closing when I bend a wire harness on the left. So I opened a plastic tube with the wires on the left side of trunk and found that almost all the wires were damaged. So I soldered them back together hoping that it would solve my problem, but nothing happend, roof still behaved the same. I opened a wire harness on the right side of the trunk and foung out that the wires were ok there. So the mystery was still unsolved. Interesting thing that after fixing the wire harnes on the left of the trunk, computer showed no errors at all.
After having no luck with wixing the wiring we started checking all the solenoids which worked fine as it showed. Roof still wasn't working. Then suddenly after checking the system couple of times with the computer scaner and having tried openning/closing the roof with no result, computer finally gave us another error: "01099 - Swith for luggage Compartment; Lock 27-00 - Implausible signal". Having this in mind we started checking the lock mechanism and a microswitch on it and found that it worked perfectly. We almost stopped trying to go anywhere further as I tried to unscrew and pull out the lock motor and all off a sudden found that it wasn't connected via connector and the connector was just laying separate itself... here I got it. My trunk shocks weren't wery good and the trunk lid hits very hard when closing it... so the connector just unpluged by itself after a few hitting with the lid. Mistery was solved and the roof works again.

Now I want to say thank you again to all of you who helped with the ideas. Espessially thanks to Bill(hubturn) who sent me lots of paperwork which I studied and could you that info to go step by step.

I hope my experience will help someone who has a similar problem to solve it without so many steps.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

still no joy
windows wont work from center console
but will open from switches on doors
boot wont lock from doors but doors will lock from boot
roof wont release from sides
repaired wires on right and left sides of boot trunk

any help would be cool cheers
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you checked all the connectors in the trunk lid where the trunk lock located? It can be a simple solution as I found in a hard way. I would check it first now.

Quick Reply: Roof wont come down